Living with bypass - body melancoly

Cris1976
on 3/23/19 2:03 pm, edited 3/23/19 2:57 pm

Friends,

I fell emocionaly better and stable, but sometimes I fell strange thinks. When my husband says: you thin, I cry. Today I think: this is a melancoly of fat body lost and fear of present body. Anybody fell that sensation of melancoly?

Partlypollyanna
on 3/24/19 6:56 am
RNY on 02/14/18

No, I can honestly say that I have never wanted my obese body back.

I do think that adjusting to the new normal takes time and if weight issues were tied to past trauma, dealing with that past trauma now that you don't have "insulation" (mentally and physically) is important.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Laura in Texas
on 3/24/19 9:11 am

Nope. I have never felt sadness over losing the weight.

I am 10 years out and thankful every day that my weight loss surgery gave me the tool I needed to lose the weight and keep it off. Otherwise I would probably be dead by now.

My SO always told me I am beautiful no matter what my weight was.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Amy R.
on 3/24/19 9:42 am

When we are in our losing phase, our body releases hormones as well as fat. Those hormones can cause all kinds of emotional reactions. It sounds like that may be what is impacting you currently.

Stay the course. Your hormone levels do even back out. Hormone dumps are just another part of the losing process; it might help to remind yourself that every day you get through is one day closer to everything finally settling down. You've already made huge progress over the last weeks. Keep going!

Also, remember to be good to yourself, sometimes a little pampering helps.

Rene R.
on 3/25/19 12:34 pm

I agree and bet she is just as beautiful as all of you / us. I hope she sees that. Hang tough my friend.

catwoman7
on 3/24/19 10:16 am
RNY on 06/03/15

no - I don't miss my old body AT ALL! I am MUCH happier now that I'm at a normal weight.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Kristi T.
on 3/24/19 10:32 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

No, I have never felt melancholy in regards to the actual weight loss. But, I did have an adjustment period emotionally and socially to loosing my "insulation"(Partlypollyanna used the perfect description!) I used the extra weight as a wall around myself that kept people and situations far away. I did needed therapy before, during and after WLS to learn how to live without it.

Chris, my hope for you is to one day see what an amazing gift WLS is and you can find a way to live life to its fullest. Life passes by so fast, you have no time waste.

Nanners0828
on 3/25/19 10:59 am
RNY on 04/25/18

I have never missed all of the excess weight. I do miss the enjoyment of food and eating a lot. Can't do that any more. Sometimes, I feel depressed about that, but the trade off is far better than the down side.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 336 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics