Waiting...

xjaymox
on 4/2/19 8:09 am

I had RNY 3/7/19. I'm feeling pretty good, back at work, eating soft foods in very small portions and following all the directions. I'm driving myself nuts weighing every day. I guess I expected to lose faster. I'm only loosing about 2 pounds a week so far. I lost just over 20 pounds prior to surgery on the liquid diet. I thought after surgery would continue at a fast rate. Is there something wrong or is that typical?

kairosgrammy
on 4/2/19 9:40 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On April 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, xjaymox wrote:

I had RNY 3/7/19. I'm feeling pretty good, back at work, eating soft foods in very small portions and following all the directions. I'm driving myself nuts weighing every day. I guess I expected to lose faster. I'm only loosing about 2 pounds a week so far. I lost just over 20 pounds prior to surgery on the liquid diet. I thought after surgery would continue at a fast rate. Is there something wrong or is that typical?

My first advice is don't compare your weight loss with anyone else's. I know that's difficult and it's a trap we all fall into but your journey will be your journey. My 1st month was probably my slowest month. I cried at my 1st post op appt because I'd lost all of 1.2 lbs. I was expecting a huge loss and then only 1.2 lbs???? I was convinced I had once again failed at weight loss and what is left after you have your insides rearranged? The next week I lost 7 lbs. I was excited. The next week I lost 1.2 lbs again. I wasn't quite as emotional as week one but I wasn't happy, believe me.

Then I read an article from my Obesity Helps Newsletter that really helped change my outlook. It basically said that when we compare our journey to someone else's journey, we fail to see our own accomplishments. Each of us has our own journey, We follow the program, exercise (walking is great) and we do the best we can to live a healthy lifestyle because we want the change we surgically made to our bodies to be a forever change.

Right now, you are at the point where you can't screw up the surgery because you can't eat much and your shortened intestines won't absorb the calories that you do eat. Winner, winner, chicken dinner (someday, LOL) Don't worry about how much you are losing or whether you are losing as much as someone else. Instead, focus on the habits that you need to acquire so that when you get farther out from surgery, you don't regain. The honeymoon period (approximately 12 to 18 months) won't last forever. This is a time to grow and change how we think about food. Your new tool will work at it's own rate.

I am now 17 months out. I have lost just shy of 200 lbs from my highest weight and 150 lbs since my surgery and I actually accomplished that goal a couple of months ago. I'm in maintenance now or at least trying. I'm still losing a wee bit. I worried so much that 1st month but what I lost in the 1st month wasn't important. What WAS important was the new habits I was creating, learning to eat in a healthy way, learning that I could live without certain foods, etc. I haven't been perfect but for the most part, I do think about food differently than I used to and I do lead a much healthier lifestyle. As long as I continue to follow the program, I will do fine. If I revert back to old habits, well...

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

xjaymox
on 4/2/19 10:27 am

Very helpful, thank you so much for your thoughtful response!

hollykim
on 4/2/19 11:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, xjaymox wrote:

if you are eating a lot of carbs foods, r rn if theyRe on your plan, your loss will be slower.

Teenie
on 4/2/19 1:03 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Your doing great and once you incorporate a great workout routine it will go quicker. I weighed myself everyday since at least my senior year of high school. I know. Exactly what I weighed for every milestone in my life. Weighing doesn't change how fast or slow you loose for me it was a motivation to get me to the gym. So those who say don't weigh every day I don't say there wrong but I say whatever helps you stay motivated. This gets easier I promise.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 330 views