How much weight did you lose before you went down a size in clothes?

MadisonRose
on 4/7/19 10:27 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I know everyone is different, but what has been your experience?

I'm just curious because I am currently a size 26/28 and decided to try on an old pair of pants I had in my closet that were a size 24. Well that wasn't happening because they were so snug I couldn't even get them buttoned around me! Sigh....that just depressed me. Not sure why I thought I could fit into them since I don't even see/feel a difference in my current size. Me and my bright ideas!

So anyway, I'm just curious to know what you guys experiences have been? I'm only down 53 pounds, but figured I'd at least have gone down one size so far, but that's not the case. I'm just ready to see some progress aside from a number on a scale so I don't feel like a complete failure.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

kairosgrammy
on 4/7/19 11:20 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On April 7, 2019 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, MadisonRose wrote:

I'm just curious because I am currently a size 26/28 and decided to try on an old pair of pants I had in my closet that were a size 24. Well that wasn't happening because they were so snug I couldn't even get them buttoned around me! Sigh....that just depressed me. Not sure why I thought I could fit into them since I don't even see/feel a difference in my current size. Me and my bright ideas!

So anyway, I'm just curious to know what you guys experiences have been? I'm only down 53 pounds, but figured I'd at least have gone down one size so far, but that's not the case. I'm just ready to see some progress aside from a number on a scale so I don't feel like a complete failure.

Don't be discouraged. Have you had surgery yet?

When you are big, you really have to lose a lot of pounds to get down to the next lower size. As you get smaller, losing less pounds results in going down a size.

I made that mistake. I got down to 150ish (if my memory serves me right) and thought, well, now I should be able to start building a wardrobe. I was 20ish lbs from goal. Before, losing 20 lbs did not mean I changed sizes. Then, on top of that, I'm very skittish about buying clothes that might look too tight. I knew I had more to lose, knew I needed to buy a bit snug and didn't. So I bought 12s and 14s and mediums. Now, at 135ish, I am wearing smalls and 8s (I even bought clothes for spring/summer and they are too big and I've had to put tucks in them to keep them up or wear a belt) *sigh*, I got a whole bunch of pants that I will not be able to wear this coming winter season cuz I was too chicken.

Don't fret. There will be moments on this journey when you'll feel discouraged and other moments will be filled with joy, surprise and disbelief. It is definitely a roller coaster!!!

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

MadisonRose
on 4/7/19 3:51 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On April 7, 2019 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, kairosgrammy wrote:
On April 7, 2019 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, MadisonRose wrote:

Don't be discouraged. Have you had surgery yet?

When you are big, you really have to lose a lot of pounds to get down to the next lower size. As you get smaller, losing less pounds results in going down a size.

I made that mistake. I got down to 150ish (if my memory serves me right) and thought, well, now I should be able to start building a wardrobe. I was 20ish lbs from goal. Before, losing 20 lbs did not mean I changed sizes. Then, on top of that, I'm very skittish about buying clothes that might look too tight. I knew I had more to lose, knew I needed to buy a bit snug and didn't. So I bought 12s and 14s and mediums. Now, at 135ish, I am wearing smalls and 8s (I even bought clothes for spring/summer and they are too big and I've had to put tucks in them to keep them up or wear a belt) *sigh*, I got a whole bunch of pants that I will not be able to wear this coming winter season cuz I was too chicken.

Don't fret. There will be moments on this journey when you'll feel discouraged and other moments will be filled with joy, surprise and disbelief. It is definitely a roller coaster!!!

Yes I had my surgery on 1/23/19. Thank you so much for your response, it was really helpful! And congrats on your weight loss!

kairosgrammy
on 4/7/19 4:17 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

I should have looked at your signature block and I'd have seen you had surgery. Brain fart. When you get to be my age, brain farts happen ALOT!!! Just be patient. Things will happen.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

MadisonRose
on 4/7/19 4:21 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On April 7, 2019 at 11:17 PM Pacific Time, kairosgrammy wrote:

I should have looked at your signature block and I'd have seen you had surgery. Brain fart. When you get to be my age, brain farts happen ALOT!!! Just be patient. Things will happen.

No worries!! And thanks again!

Marilyn101
on 4/7/19 4:17 pm - FL

You have lost 53lbs, that is wonderful. Remember that you may be one size with a certain style of pants and another contingent on the cut off the clothes. Do not be discouraged you are doing great. I was wearing the same clothes up until I lost about 60-70 lbs. Stay focused on your journey you will continue to be successful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MadisonRose
on 4/7/19 4:23 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On April 7, 2019 at 11:17 PM Pacific Time, Marilyn101 wrote:

You have lost 53lbs, that is wonderful. Remember that you may be one size with a certain style of pants and another contingent on the cut off the clothes. Do not be discouraged you are doing great. I was wearing the same clothes up until I lost about 60-70 lbs. Stay focused on your journey you will continue to be successful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I just recently started exercising as well so hopefully that will help with the weight coming off.

peachpie
on 4/7/19 6:27 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I started in a 26/28, but convinced myself I was in 'only' in a 24. I forget how much weight it was-- but I Was cycling through sizes every 6 weeks. I had surgery in April, but it wasn't until July that the fast cycle through clothes started. Between April and July what I owned just starting fitting better.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Librarian67
on 4/8/19 3:58 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Great question! My understanding of the way fashion industry makes clothes is that there is more difference between the larger sizes and less between the smaller sizes. Not sure why, but that means that at first, even though you are losing lots of weight, the clothes size doesn't change all that much. Also, for me, when I had surgery, I was barely able to fit into a 26. It was one of my motivations to finally have surgery.... I know that you want to evidence of your weight loss but use a tape measure instead because in the end clothes are made in different fabrics (stretchy), cuts and sizing.

The "good" news is that as you continue to lose, you will begin to change sizes WAY too often. For me, I completely changed sizes every 4-6 weeks and had to replace my wardrobe if I wanted clothes that fit. I became a total thrift clothes hog! Every couple of weeks, I went to the thrift store, taking all of my old clothes with me to donate, and bought a new set of clothes. Then again in a month or so, I had to do the same thing. It sounds fun but it actually became a real pain. I would find the "perfect" outfit and only wear it ONCE before it was huge on me...how disappointing!

Back to where you are NOW! Stick to plan--dense protein and as many fluids as you can. And my personal fave, start moving your body on a regular basis, it will improve your strength and help you to reconnect with your body as it changes. Take regular measurements of your body and keep track. Take a new picture every few weeks to document your journey. The scale is important, but you WILL hit plateaus-stalls even while your body continues to change.

You are doing GREAT! You just need to add more ways to measure your progress!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

tusun50374
on 4/8/19 4:59 pm

53 Lbs. and you haven't dropped a size! Something is very wrong, is it possible you aren't really a 26/28? I found a few comments on this, and here's a little snippet,

.........................................."If you've watched advertisements on television you may be curious as to how many pounds need to be lost in order to drop a dress size. For some women, it seems to be 10 pounds, for others it could be as little as 5 pounds. Decreasing a dress size is different for everyone and how you lose the weight most effectively may differ as well."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 529 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 417 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics