Feeling Down

MateoSteven
on 4/8/19 9:19 am
RNY on 01/31/18

So, it's been a little over a year since my surgery. I lost weight really quickly, and was at my goal weight within about 8 months. In the past few months, I have slowly been gaining weight. In fact, as of today I have gained 15 lbs. The thing is, I am never actually hungry. I haven't felt a hunger pain since before my surgery. I have started to eat things that I shouldn't because I am bored. Even though I feel sick (both physically and mentally) after I eat garbage food, I still find myself doing it. Rationally, I know this makes zero sense, but I am having a difficult time stopping.

I guess I am just reaching out to see if anyone else has had this experience or feelings. Also, I think putting this in writing has made it more real for me, and not something I can keep dismissing. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have. I don't post a lot on this forum, but I read it everyday.

Surgery Date: 1/31/2018

Height: 6 feet 1 inch

Highest Weight: 325

Surgery Weight: 288

Current Weight: 179

Patty R.
on 4/8/19 10:27 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I started posting back on the menu thread today, for the much same reasons. No more blaming emotional turmoils for me.

When I stopped posting, I stopped being accountable for what I put in my mouth. That stops NOW!!

Good luck to you!!!!

Rene R.
on 4/8/19 11:20 am

Can you motivate yourself maybe to go for a walk? I know when you are bored or a lone motivation is so hard as I struggle everyday as I am alone a lot of my time. I eat out of boredom much of the time is why I gained weight , will have my surgery in a few weeks.

I find that a walk helps. I hope this will help you. Maybe friend me and we can talk.

ScaleSkater
on 4/8/19 11:23 am

My advice is seek out a good bariatric patient oriented/trained therapist. You are eating for other reasons - "bored" is just one and really likely something else. The head stuff matters and must be addressed. Surgery is only part of the resolution to our weight issues.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Emiepie
on 4/8/19 6:29 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

What he said! Best of luck on your journey. You're worth it and can do it!!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

kairosgrammy
on 4/8/19 8:45 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Have you tried counseling? That has helped a lot of folks.

Also, you mentioned eating out of boredom. I was so bad with boredom eating. Find something to do that really captivates your interest. Hobby? Project around the house, writing a book? Anything that works for you cuz what works for you may not work for another. Also, put the food off. Tell yourself, well, I'm not really hungry right now, if I still want it in an hour, maybe I'll eat it then. In an hour's time, you might even forget you did want a particular food. If that hour arrives, ask yourself the same question, do I really want such and such. Journaling can help. If you journal what food you wanted, why you wanted it, was there a trigger than by the time you are done, you may have worked the whys and wherefores out in your mind and no longer really want the food.

Also, do you log what you eat? I know, you know what to eat but I find that if I log everything I eat then I tend to make the better choices because I hate to write down, candy bar when I know that's a crappy choice of food (I dump and I don't like dumping so candy bars are actually on my avoid at all costs list). I do My Fitness Pal and I make my food diary visible to friends and I post it most evenings (unless my old brain forgets). I'm honest and I don't want anyone else to see candy bar either. Also, sometimes we get into trends with our food choices and if you can look back and see what you've been eating, you might see, whoops, my carbs have been really too high or, whoops, my protein has been off, etc. You can find patterns that influence your weight loss or maintenance. And logging your food just keeps you mindful.

Are you food prepping and planning? A lot of times, if you plan ahead, you aren't so prone to eating unplanned food.

Just some thoughts.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Kathy S.
on 4/9/19 5:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Losing the weight can be such a high, maintaining it can be such a crash and burn. If during pre-op and post-op you didn't deal with the head issues they will lead to regain. I am glad you are talking to someone. Also we are so focused on losing the weight when we hit goal sometimes we relax, think we got this and get away from the basics that got us to goal and will keep us there. Here is a list that helped me maybe it will help you.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views