Revision from Sleeve to Bypass?

kairosgrammy
on 4/12/19 8:13 pm
RNY on 10/17/17

Well, it's quite possible we like to talk on this forum (big mouths???)

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

momyshaver
on 4/15/19 4:40 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I had VSG but developed medical complications and had a single anastomosis bypass. I call my stomach(s) thing 1 and thing 2 as they continue to cause me issues. I had stitch ulcers a few months following my bypass confirmed by EGD but carafate cleared those up. Following that my small bowel started twisting on itself and when they went in to take care of that they thought things should be fine but I ended up with peritonitis, likely due to severe protein calorie nutrition along with anemia. My experience is not the norm. Most patients do very well after their surgeries. I was on a medication that interfered with healing and the immune system and my Dr told me to keep taking it and unfortunately it just laid the ground work for a lot of issues I suspect I would not have had to deal with. I will say that before bypass my GERD was increasingly horrible to the point I could barely swallow or speak. It was due to scar tissue creating a stricture and twist and bending that increased the pressure on my diaphram. It also created a herniation in that area. The bypass solved those issues and really was necessary. I still take a PPI due to the previous stitch ulcers and it seems that I really cannot eat a few hours before bedtime without consequence. Revisions really don't lose weight like a virgin surgery. It is possible to eat your way around any surgery and then, if you eat protein forward and respect your tool things tend to balance out in a healthy way. You need to take your vitamins religiously pretty much with either surgery but it is more important after bypass. Playing catch up is a lot harder than just following the general rules of the tool iykwim. Really it is a personal decision that only you can make with your surgeon but if you have GERD I would not hesitate to have it done. Long term GERD is really serious.

la_maestra
on 4/24/19 4:02 pm - AZ

I am having the same problem. I had my sleeve (I call him Lurch) done in 2015. I went from 398 to 239...then I got an IUD for severe anemia and gained back 70 lbs. My GERD is horrendous and I have to take Nexxium every day or I will literally vomit acid. I am looking for a doctor (I'm in Glendale, AZ) right now to talk to them about a possible revision to the DS. SO this thread is relevant to my interests. :)

Thanks,
Heather
Glendale, AZ

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views