Whats on your (Photo) Friday menu, RNYers?

cc583
on 4/14/19 6:41 am - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I have all of his books!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Au_Contraire
on 4/13/19 12:16 pm

Now you've made me hungry!

Au_Contraire
on 4/12/19 2:42 pm, edited 4/12/19 12:36 pm

Friday greetings to all of my RnY kindred!

Thank you, Janet, for launching us today. I love the photo of you with the lamb! My ex-husband was born on an island in the North Sea. I last was there many Aprils ago, and will never forget the sweetness of the little spring lambs, gamboling in the fields amongst their stately mothers.

I always enjoyed this little video. The video quality isn't the highest as it's been on YouTube for several years, but the little lamb is just so cute:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAsg0rhec4

I have always been a huge reader. I recall being scolded for walking home from the library while reading my newest acquisition - a neighbor drove by and saw me walking with my nose buried in it's pages, and told my mom. I think they were concerned that I would trip over a curb, or not see a turning car. But my entire family read voraciously, so I was in good company, and our library at home was broad and wonderful. I remember going to the library with my dad when I was very young - probably 2-ish - and being so surprised to learn that we wouldn't have to pay for the books we selected. Mine was a picture book featuring triplets - three little girls with Nordic-blonde hair. My parents always read to me before bed, too, until I started to be able to decipher the alphabet code for myself. I remember my dad reading Alice in Wonderland to me - a true first edition, no less - when I was 2 or 3 (I know because my mom was expecting, and we would say a prayer afterwards for her and the baby). I had to concentrate very hard to absorb the story as it was actually a bit advanced for such a young kid, but I wanted to please my dad and show him that I understood what he was reading.

I definitely prefer paper to digital, except for newspapers. I like paper newspapers, too, but get easily overwhelmed with paper recycling even without them, and I like to read several daily papers. So I switched to digital subscriptions.

I grew up preferring fiction by far - nonfiction seemed so dry and lacking in magic by comparison. This evened out as I grew up. Now I go through periods during which I read non-fiction almost exclusively, but then sugar it up with a huge dose of fiction for a while. I prefer to only have one book going at a time. I read work-related books, but many other genres as well. My work is creative, so the relevant books are fun and interesting to me. I also like history and, actually, a wide range of subject matter.

I love my local library! I love how busy it always seems to be, as well.

Yesterday I went shopping - I wanted to get a blazer to wear with jeans. Despite trying a dozen styles on at J. Crew, Macy's, and Nordstrom, I didn't find one I thought looked good on me. Either the shoulders were too broad or the fit was too boxy, or it looked good open but gave me a strangely unflattering shape when buttoned. I'm not accustomed to having things tailored, but I may have to go that route to get a good fit. Then I bit the bullet and went for an overdue bra fitting. No matter how discrete the bra fitter is, this is an exercise in humiliation! But I walked away with two new bras. I had been wearing the same style and size for many months and though they started off fine, I have lost too much weight for them to be a good fit at this point. I've never spent so much money on bras in my life - holy moly, were these things expensive! And they aren't even that perfect a fit - but they were the best I could find out of a dozen attempts. They are, at least, an improvement.

first: two huge cups of coffee

B: ham

L: turkey breast, a few grape tomatoes

D: chicken, green salad

Here is a poster I made for a class assignment when I was learning Adobe Illustrator:

Have a wonderful day, my friends!

Sheila_H
on 4/12/19 10:42 pm - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Cara, have you tried H&M? I know it's not an obvious place but I found the best blazer for jeans there. I had seen it online but I don't trust their quality.While in DC I went to the store and I actually liked it on. I don't know how long you'd want your blazer to be but this one was the right length for me. I bought it in navy.

H&M Jacket with gathered sleeves

Here's how I wore it just recently.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

Au_Contraire
on 4/12/19 11:18 pm, edited 4/12/19 4:41 pm

That's a fabulous look, Sheila - I love it's casual chic! I like some length, yet lean towards a slightly shrunken silhouette. I definitely like a bit of a nipped-in waist. I love linen blends, if I could only find one that didn't wrinkle the instant I looked at it! Actually it would be great to find a pan-seasonal fabric, one which could take me at least from spring through fall, if not all year 'round. I envision myself wearing this, in navy or black, open over a Saint James Breton striped 3/4 sleeve length boatneck tee, a pair of Repetto ballet flats, and some great skinny jeans, rolled up at the hem. We should go shopping together! But until then, I will check out H&M! Thank you for the tip!

Kakesie
on 4/13/19 5:34 am
RNY on 02/19/16

I love reading your posts, Cara, you are such a colorful writer and your descriptions of everything just come alive! The video of the baby lamb in the house was cute, too.

Au_Contraire
on 4/13/19 12:18 pm

Thank you, Karen!

Julia S.
on 4/15/19 8:13 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I know it's late but I couldn't resist the QOTD- I love books. I can't survive without them, when I was completing my BS degree I felt like I was losing my mind because I didn't have time to just read for pleasure. I would sneak in a few minutes with some fiction book just to keep me going. I read now almost exclusively on my tablet with Overdrive Media utilizing my library. I love libraries, I remember spending a lot of my summers when I was a kid exploring my local library. Unfortunately now I really don't go the the physical library often, my favorite one is in downtown Portland. I love the beautiful old building and the stairs just the smell of the books and the adventure of discovery. It's actually on the National Registry.

I admire all of the librarians especially on here, I couldn't do it I'd want to read all of the time.

My favorite thing is to get lost in a book, to lose track of time and be so engrossed it is the only world that exists.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views