When you crave something sweet?

MadisonRose
on 4/12/19 9:13 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

What do you guys eat when you are craving something sweet? Or do you not eat anything sweet? Don't crave them? I'm just curious.

Recently I have been craving sweets like crazy. But it's that time of month so that might be why. I bought my brother a big bag of Reese's peanut butter cups for his birthday (his favorite and mine too). They have been sitting in my house for a whole week and I won't lie, they have been driving me a little crazy. But I have been good. Pre surgery I would have done opened up those suckers and eaten half the bag....ok who am I kidding?...the whole bag! But tonight I wrapped them up and put them in his gift bag with his other gifts and I finally get to get them out of my house tomorrow.

Right now I'll eat some fruit if I get a craving for something sweet or maybe some yogurt or a chocolate protein shake. I'm just looking for some other ideas? What do you guys eat when you get those cravings?

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Sheila_H
on 4/12/19 10:49 pm - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Fage yogurt (or any Greek yogurt) + SF syrup. Put in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Comes out so yum and full of protein. Zero guilt.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

MadisonRose
on 4/13/19 9:52 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On April 13, 2019 at 5:49 AM Pacific Time, Sheila_H wrote:

Fage yogurt (or any Greek yogurt) + SF syrup. Put in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Comes out so yum and full of protein. Zero guilt.

Oh I'm going to try that! Thanks for the tip! My friend who had the VSG told me she likes putting her chocolate premier shakes in the freezer for a little while because they come out just like a milkshake. I am going to try that as well!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/12/19 11:08 pm

Often cravings may indicate vitamins or minerals deficiencies. I.e. chocolate cravings may indicate magnesium deficiencies - serum not blood levels.

I like chocolate, but since I really take bunch of magnesium daily, I rather have an apple if I crave something sweet. Fruits - like berries, are nature's sweets. I try to limit fruits when i am losing (i.e regain) or my weight is getting too close to the top of my happy range.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MadisonRose
on 4/13/19 9:56 am
RNY on 01/23/19
On April 13, 2019 at 6:08 AM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

Often cravings may indicate vitamins or minerals deficiencies. I.e. chocolate cravings may indicate magnesium deficiencies - serum not blood levels.

I like chocolate, but since I really take bunch of magnesium daily, I rather have an apple if I crave something sweet. Fruits - like berries, are nature's sweets. I try to limit fruits when i am losing (i.e regain) or my weight is getting too close to the top of my happy range.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I go for my follow up appointment on the 22nd of this month so I'll have all of that checked out. I used to take magnesium daily because I read they help with migraines, but I came off of them right before surgery.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/19 11:52 am, edited 4/13/19 4:52 am

Be aware that blood work is mostly for levels in the blood, not tissues or bones. They would have to take a few biopsy or the tissues or bones to test the levels. And since they mostly test blood anyway, as far as I know there is no clear "good levels" of minerals in tissues and bones. Often good blood levels tests of calcium can hide the body taking calcium from the bones.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

catwoman7
on 4/13/19 5:05 am
RNY on 06/03/15

my current favorite is a thing of Light & Fit vanilla yogurt with 1/2 T of unsweetened cocoa powder mixed in, topped with a few fresh raspberries.

sometimes I'll take a container of Light & Fit yogurt (any flavor) and mix in 1 T of tahini. The tahini is pure fat and fills me up for at least a couple of hours. I use that trick when I sense a binge coming on...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 4/13/19 5:25 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I might try this, I like tahini and I bet it would blend into a creme brûlée L&F tastily. Not sure that is an actual word but you know what I mean!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Sheila_H
on 4/13/19 8:21 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Hmmm, my only use for tahini has been for hummus. Never thought of it for yogurt. What kind of flavoring does it give to the yogurt?

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

catwoman7
on 4/13/19 12:01 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

it gives it a slightly nutty taste, but not nearly as much so as something like peanut butter would. I've tried it in the peach and the creme brulee ones, and it goes well with both of them!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views