Aspirin after Lap RNY

katrn05
on 5/1/19 6:06 pm - Troy, MI

My RNY was performed in 2009. I recently had a varicose vein ablation and the PA asked me to start taking Aspirin as there was an area of concern for a blood clot. Does anyone take regular or baby aspirin with their RNY?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/2/19 3:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The only way I would take an aspirin is if I was having a heart attack. The risk of ulcers is very serious.

I had ablation of the greater saphenous in one leg and lesser saphenous in the other. Aspirin was never suggested, and I wouldn't have used it if they had.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chris_ruff
on 5/2/19 10:04 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i would ask the PA if you could do/take something else. as someone who has dealt with ulcers and acid post-RNY, there is no way i would take aspirin or any NSAID unless my life depended on it and there was absolutely no other course of action.

--Christina
kairosgrammy
on 5/3/19 6:12 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Definitely agree. I was taking baby aspirin, enteric coated with my surgeon's permission however I had a spell of very severe stomach pain. My surgeon's nurse felt that it may have been the beginnings of an ulcer that caused the stomach pain I had because karafate, specifically to treat ulcers, worked for me. So I will never again take baby aspirin, an nsaid or anything that might/could cause an ulcer. If that is how the beginnings of an ulcer felt, definitely don't want the full-fledged ulcer. I couldn't even stand up straight. If they were concerned about blood clots, why not just do heperin shots, etc. Makes no sense to me.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Kathy S.
on 5/2/19 10:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This was my biggest fear about having RNY.... Down the road getting old and hurting and not being able to take meds to help with the pain. I discussed this with my surgeon and he said there is not an issue if you take them once in awhile. Where we get into trouble is if we take them on a daily basis. Over time we will get into trouble. Talk to your surgeon and ask for some alternatives. Good luck with your recovery

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cris1976
on 5/2/19 7:37 pm, edited 5/2/19 12:37 pm

I take new generation of oral anticoagulants (blood thiners).

kairosgrammy
on 5/3/19 6:06 am
RNY on 10/17/17

I was told by my surgeon that I could take baby aspirin as long as it was enteric coated (sometimes says safety). However, in November I had very severe stomach pain and was put on an ulcer medication (karafate). My stomach pain eased off after taking the medication so my surgeon's nurse practitioner felt I had the beginnings of ulcers. I would say it's a risk/benefit question. If they feel that you are in significant danger of a blood clot perhaps they should have done a medication specifically for blood clots since I'm assuming you told them about RNY. The concern with NSAIDs is stomach irritation that can cause ulcers, not bleeding. I don't know how low a dose of warfarin or similar medicine but I know it comes in varied doses and that is a long story you don't want to hear and I don't want to talk about.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics