I don't think I'll make it. 14 day liquid diet

heather_dw
on 5/27/19 4:36 pm - MO

First day on the 14 day preop liquid diet. I am SO HUNGRY. I can't imagine doing this for 14 days. So far today I've had two premier protein shakes, 4 sugar free popsicles, a jello and 32 oz of water.

455 cals

27 carbs (is there a number I need to be under on this?)

9 Sugar (where? LOL )

260 cals from exercise (walking dogs)

Any tips or advice? My program doesn't allow veggies/meat or applesauce during this phase.

They estimate calories around 900 per day. I"m a night worker so I have plenty of time left in my day

heather_dw
on 5/27/19 5:05 pm - MO

and 74 protein

Writergurl08
on 5/27/19 6:08 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Honestly, the first 2-3 days are the hardest because you're fighting your head. Then you kind of break through and don't feel too hungry anymore, but your head will tel you that you need to eat because it habit--dinnertime, lunchtime, etc.

I had broth for "dinner" frequently as I needed the savory flavor to cut through all the sweet things (shakes, jello, popsicles, etc).

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Maddymoe2
on 5/27/19 8:06 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

You can do it!! I had to do a skim milk diet. All I could have was skim milk. It was hard, but I did it and you can too!! Keep your eye on the prize. This surgery is going to change your life!!!

heather_dw
on 5/27/19 8:39 pm - MO

I had some 98% fat free cream of chicken soup and that really helped. My throat now is always dry no matter if I just drank of not. I hope i'm not getting a sore throat on top of everything else going on. Surgery is 6/10

The Salty Hag
on 5/28/19 4:56 am, edited 5/27/19 9:56 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Full disclosure, I was allowed one food meal per day on my pre-op diet, but this REALLY helped me after surgery. Maybe it'll help you before as well?

Can you have sugar free jello? For me, being able to eat with a spoon went a long way in combatting the "omg liquids only/no solid food/WTF have I done/I'm going nuts!!" feeling I was having during my liquid only phases after surgery, and the last two days of my pre-op diet. That hand-to-mouth action was soothing for me and made me feel like I was "eating food" even though it was jello and therefore allowed. Hope this helps. ( hope jello is allowed for you! If not, maybe put a popsicle in a bowl and eat it with a spoon? )

I'm still not fully caffeinated, so I hope this makes sense.

Edited for auto correct SNAFU.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

catwoman7
on 5/28/19 6:25 am
RNY on 06/03/15

as others have said, it does get easier after the third day. Ketosis sets in by then and you're less hungry.

I was only allowed 4-5 protein shakes, unlimited no calorie (or very low-calorie - like Crystal Light) beverages, SF Jello, and SF popsicles, and a limited amount of broth, tomato juice and V8 (limited because of the sodium). I had my quota of broth and tomato juice every day since the sodium in them made me retain water, making me feel fuller. I also ate SF Jello and SF popsicles with abandon because they were the only things I could eat that somewhat resembled real food. It's tough - I thought it was the toughest part of the whole thing - but just white knuckle it. It should get better by day 4....

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

ScaleSkater
on 5/28/19 6:29 am

My program required someone of my size to be on the liquid diet for SEVEN weeks. You'll survive, don't let your head win. Stay focused and you'll make it. It's worth it. The only residual is I can't look at a Core Power drink, though they aren't allowed post-surgery. Good Luck

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

MarinaGirl
on 5/28/19 7:50 am

I recommend you increase your water intake. You state that you're only drinking 32 oz which is inadequate. Post-op, you will need to drink a MINIMUM of 64 oz per day so now is the time to start making that happen. Good luck, you can do this!

Cris1976
on 5/28/19 8:58 am

I see very positive the US protocol posop. Is posible see the life after cirurgy. Good look!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views