Heartburn

MadisonRose
on 6/3/19 9:04 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Does anyone still suffer from heartburn after RNY?

I finished all my omeprazole my doctor prescribed me right after surgery and I had no refills left. Figured I'd just see how I did without taking anything. Well my heartburn has come back full force. I called my doctors office to get a refill and they called it in for me, but said they only want me taking one a day to try to ween myself off of them. Said if I still have heartburn then I need to come in for more tests.

I'm kind of bummed because this was one of the reasons I had this surgery. To help my heartburn. Will it eventually get better? Or will I just have to suffer with it forever?

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

catwoman7
on 6/4/19 4:40 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was heartburn free for two years after RNY, but it's come back. It's not as bad as it was pre-surgery, but yes - it's back. They put me on prescription Zantac (it's safer than omeprazole, evidently) and said it works well for some people, but I don't seem to be one of them. I take that along with several Tums (and sometimes Rolaids) a day. So...it's not working. I need to call back to see if they'll put me back on omeprazole, but i haven't done it yet.

RNY does cure heartburn for a lot of people, but not everyone. At least mine is better, but still...

ScaleSkater
on 6/4/19 7:17 am

Had it before, still have it, but less severe. They want me off PPIs after being on them for 10 years now. So trying Zantac 150 next week. Fingers crossed.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

NYMom222
on 6/4/19 8:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

With Heartburn medications it is best to wean yourself off or you can have rebound acid.

I do have acid reflux post-RNY although at this point I am sort of convinced it might be bile reflux. I did not know there was such a thing until recently. Anyway basically treated the same way, so it doesn't matter.

You are still early out, it could get better.

When you use the term 'this surgery' I assume meaning having RNY over VSG. You made the right decision, it would be worse with VSG.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Greatmum41
on 6/4/19 1:32 pm

I found that when I first went off the meds I had symptoms. I got a refill and started taking them every other day and then just stopped one day with no other symptoms. The only time I get it now is if I lay down right after eating. Good luck

MarinaGirl
on 6/4/19 5:21 pm

I struggled with GERD for many years prior to WLS, and have a family history of esophageal cancer. My acid reflux was better for about 8 months post-gastric bypass but then it came back, and with bile reflux and a diagnosis of Barrett's Esophagus. I did not want to get back on a PPI regimen (due to the long term risks and side effects of the medication) so I ended up having Nissen Fundoplication surgery. Good news is my gastritis & Barrett's have resolved. YMMV

My recommendation is to work with a highly qualified gastroenterologist that has a lot of experience treating bariatric patients.

MadisonRose
on 6/5/19 6:05 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

Thanks for the replies! It's not as bad as it was before surgery, but still bad enough where it's bothersome. I have cut down to 1 pill a day and may try to cut down even further to 1 pill every other day until I am no longer taking them. I will run out eventually anyway and my doctor already told me no more refills. So hopefully this will get better over time. If not I guess I'll try to find an OTC medication that works for me. And I guess I'll go in for more tests like they want me to in order to see what's going on. As long as it doesn't get as bad as it did before surgery where I was woken up in the middle of the night choking on my stomach acid. I don't ever want it that bad again.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Cris1976
on 6/7/19 10:48 pm

And your alimation? Dont take ultraprocesseds can help you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 135 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
Recent Topics