First experience with dumping....

Melody P.
on 6/12/19 3:16 pm - Amarillo, TX

man oh man did that suck.

not totally sure what did it but I had some sugar free honey mustard sauce...maybe a tsp if even that puréed with an egg. It's the only thing I can think of. My stomach hurt for hours then I finally threw up. Could of been the egg too but I had some yesterday and it didn't make me sick.

now I know to just throw that sauce in the trash. I was so fearful I had done something to my pouch. Now it still feels off but it's very much better.

jmk187
on 6/12/19 3:33 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Wow I wonder what it was in the mustard that caused it. Possibly the sugar free sweetener?

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Maddymoe2
on 6/12/19 4:34 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

Are you progressing too soon?? Eggs are very iffy for many people.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/12/19 8:45 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Are you sure it was dumping? From what I've read, most people have racing heartbeat, dizziness, sweating, that sort of thing-- not just stomach pain. Something sugar free probably couldn't cause dumping.

Eggs are tricky for a lot of people and don't always sit well in one's stomach.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

stacyrg
on 6/12/19 11:42 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I have dumping syndrome and if I wouldn't consider that dumping. Maybe progressing too quickly, but not dumping. When I "dump" I have a racing heartbeat to the point where it feels like it's going to pound out of my chest, I sweat rivers, I shake and generally feel like I want to die. Dumping, to me, is not stomach pain and is ALWAYS caused by sugar or excess fat.

Whatever it was, I hope you're feeling better!!

Au_Contraire
on 6/13/19 1:35 am

I had many experiences like that during the first year and even now sometimes. I don't think that is dumping, either. Your body just wasn't quite ready for that meal, whether it was the egg, the sauce or the combo. Sometimes I was able to eat something one day without trouble, but the next time I tried it I was in pain for hours and hours, often ending in vomiting. Dumping is wilder and different. Go slow, maybe lay off the eggs for a month or so, ditto the sauce, before trying again. Eat it really, really slowly next time, too. Episodes like this are just part of life as a post-op, I think. It does get easier as time passes.

MadisonRose
on 6/13/19 4:40 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I had a couple instances similar to that. Once when I had Wendy's chili for the first time post op...wasn't even a month out and honestly I think I just ate too much of it. Another time was when I was on vacation recently and had some sugar free ice cream. I got a very upset stomach both times, had severe stomach pain and felt like I was going to throw up. Luckily, I've never experienced dumping though and hope I never do. Those two instances of stomach pain and feeling sick were enough for me. I've also had a couple times where I've had food get stuck because I didn't chew it well enough. That is also very painful! I just had to wait it out or make myself throw up to get relief. I am always careful to chew my food really good now.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Melody P.
on 6/13/19 5:44 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I think y'all are most definitely right as I never got diarrhea....or the racing heart beat like y'all mentioned! Feeling much better today!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/13/19 5:57 am - Burleson, TX

The other responders made some EXCELLENT points!!!

For me, most Sugar-"Free" things are the devil, and I avoid them. Sugar alcohol**** me way worse than REAL sugars do...Same with FAKE fats...I eat REAL-just in small amounts

At 17 years out, I DO, and always HAVE dumped...and I CANNOT throw up...it's the way my plumbing is...MY dumping is the heart racing/sweating/mouth foaming/gut cramping/lie on the bathroom/Lord take me now type...Luckily, I USUALLY eat well enough, to avoid it...but...sometimes I get stupid, or food has hidden something

Eggs are still tricky...BOILED ones, are STILL tough, for me...perhaps your eggs were too hard?

Your pouch could very well be a little irritated, but, otherwise, I'm sure it is fine. You might want to "back up", and eat softer foods, for a few days

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Teenie
on 6/13/19 8:12 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I don't think you dumped dumping is violent puking and sever diarrhea you just found something that didn't agree with you just yet. I'm 17 months out and I still can not eat scramble eggs. Usually when something doesn't agree it will sit above your pouch and when you finally take a sip it clears itself by puking it up. This never goes away I have friends 10 years out and this still happens with certain foods if you eat to fast to much or or do not chew enough. I can eat eggs any other way but scrambled. Also if you microwave food it changes the texture so that is something to watch try not to microwave proteins..

As you get further along in you journey this will be second nature. Keep up the good work. I promise this gets easier.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404