HELP! I'm worried I'm messing up and setting myself up for failure

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/19 9:51 pm
RNY on 07/09/19

Hey all, please be honest with me...

I had surgery July 9th 2019, and today, I made scrambled eggs and ate it, it sat well and didnt makee me sick...but I feel guilty cause I know I'm supposed to be on a liquid diet for another week...its so hard though, I really want eggs ...

Is this bad? Should I just stick to the liquid diet?

Amy R.
on 7/17/19 10:12 pm
On July 18, 2019 at 4:51 AM Pacific Time, ashleigh333 wrote:

Hey all, please be honest with me...

I had surgery July 9th 2019, and today, I made scrambled eggs and ate it, it sat well and didnt makee me sick...but I feel guilty cause I know I'm supposed to be on a liquid diet for another week...its so hard though, I really want eggs ...

Is this bad? Should I just stick to the liquid diet?

What does your surgeon's plan say? It's pretty important to stick to that, especially at less than 10 days out. You might want to call the nurse there and let them know how hungry you are, and to tell them you ate the eggs. They may work with you to speed up your transition back to solids or they may have some ideas on staying full.

Actually different surgeons can have vastly different post op eating guidelines. Some folks come home from the hospital on solids. Personally I wasn't allowed solid food until week nine.

I doubt you've damaged your new pouch but you'd probably better let them know.

Good luck. You'll be fine, just stick to plan from now on.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/19 10:14 pm
RNY on 07/09/19

Thank you for the advice! I am going to call the clinic tomorrow and speak to my surgeon or nurse and see what they say!

rocky513
on 7/18/19 3:23 am, edited 7/17/19 8:24 pm - WI

If you just had a few bites, you may be fine. This issue is how much volume you ate. Your nerves have been cut in your stomach and it will take many months before they heal and you feel true hunger. Eating solid foods too soon could rupture your suture lines in your new stomach. There have been people on this site that did that...and died.

It's time for you to relearn how to react to food. "I want" is totally different from "I need". What you are experiencing is likely head hunger. You probably are not feeling real hunger...and even if you are, you need to retrain yourself to not give in to your impulses. Your stomach is lying to you when it sends you hunger pangs...just like it always has. Stop going off plan. If you are supposed to be on liquids for another week...then stay on liquids another week. The most successful among us become avid rule followers. We don't drink with our meals, we measure out our food so we don't over eat, We stay away from empty calories (like drinking sugary drinks), We stay away from carbs. Those of us that think we know more than our surgeons, and try to blaze our own trail where food and eating are concerned, will fail. We all became obese by blazing that trail and we ate whatever we wanted...whenever we wanted. You didn't have this surgery to keep doing that.

Surgery is only half the solution to obesity. It was never meant to do all the work of weight loss. You must follow the rules and make good choices for the rest of your life. Start doing that...today!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 7/18/19 3:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Let me ask you a question. If you can't control an impulse to eat what you want 8 days after major surgery, how well will you control the impulse after a year? After 5 years?

The time to dig in and change is now.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/18/19 5:30 am, edited 7/17/19 10:37 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Please stick to your doctors orders. If you need to anything else, call the office first. Commit to yourself that you will not 'go rogue' without checking with your doctor first. If you are really "worried I'm messing up and setting myself up for failure" then you will not deviate from your doctors orders. Especially in the first 6 weeks, when you are recovering from major surgery.

If you had an operation to repair a broken a broken bone and you were supposed to stay off it for 6 weeks, would be begin playing football 9 days later? Probably not. Even if you wanted to really badly, even if it was football with Tom Brady or dancing with JLo. You get the idea, no means no.

I can tell you that after a week post op, OMG, OMG, all I wanted was a piece of a crab cake. 4.5 years later and can still remember standing at the kitchen counter and having visions of a broiled crabcake. I just wanted just one succulent little morsel, not even the whole crabcake. Instead, I had a SF popcicle. If I (formerly one of the biggest diet failures on the face of the earth) can now make good decisions, then so can you. Really.

Also, because we all get off track, being able to get back on track quickly is a key skill - reset at the next meal, not the next day/week/month. Take this as an opportunity to practice getting and staying back on track. Take that learning from this experience and stay on the liquid diet until the dr says otherwise.

Also, when did you eat the eggs - that may be a clue to a specific difficult time in the day, or other stressor, that let you forget that you are only days post-op. You may need to develop a plan for this cir****tance in the future so this does not become a 'slip hazard' again.

PS What would have happened if you did not have the eggs?

Would you have had a seizure and died? Prob Not. Would lightening have vaporized you? No.

Would you have rolled up in a ball and cried like a baby - OK, go ahead, so what, just stay on your dr orders. Your dr will tell you when you can go off menu - and what choices to make.

PPS This message is for you, but also for others who are contemplating ignoring medical instructions. Hopefully, it may keep someone on track for another few hours, and in a few hours, the world may look different.

PPPS This message is also for me - At 4.5 post surgery, I am attacking regain and I face the same situation as you do. And I can make good decisions, too.

WLS is a reset, not a cure. We can learn to ignore the "I wanta" for can make good decisions for our health.

Sharon

Teenie
on 7/18/19 6:59 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Doesn't sound like your really committed. Unless you change your habits your setting yourself up for a big failure. Why did you have the surgery in the first place? You better get an appointment with the therapist or this will not end well.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

ScaleSkater
on 7/18/19 8:21 am, edited 7/18/19 1:22 am

I agree. Find a therapist. It will be even more important to you than the surgery. find one that deals with bariatric patients.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

LISER617
on 7/18/19 9:45 am - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

It could have been worse, i mean you could have eaten a taco or something (That actually happened by the way- about 5 years ago when i was newly post op someone ate a taco 1 week after surgery) If i had to guess i would say that person probably wasn't very successful with their weight loss. Seriously though now is the time to learn the good habits that will help you through your journey. You've already had the surgery - are you going to let it all go to waste? Follow your surgeons instructions and address any issues with them. If you can move on from here and stay on track than no big deal, just don't let this be the first of many bad decisions.

Lisa (38) my goal is 160 lbs.... my dream is happy and healthy

White Dove
on 7/18/19 10:18 am - Warren, OH

At the hospital where I had my surgery they had just set up a system where you called the kitchen and had food sent to your room. One day after his surgery, one of the RNY patients called and had a cheeseburger sent to his room. He ate the cheeseburger. He ruptured his pouch. They took him to surgery and repaired it. He recovered but never did well on his weight loss. Just could not follow the rules.

Another young lady was a school principal. About a month after her surgery, her school had a holiday party. She decided to bend the rules and enjoy what was on the buffet. A bit later, she excused herself to use the restroom. She went to her office on the second floor to use her personal bathroom.

When she did not return, someone went to check on her. She was unconscious on the bathroom floor and bleeding heavily from her rectum. She was rushed to the hospital. Before surgery, her family was called to her bedside to say their last goodbyes. She made it through surgery and was successful with her weight loss. She does follow the rules.

Your experiment went well for you this time, but you are not completely healed and may not be so lucky next time. Talk to your surgeon and find a therapist. Most of us needed some therapeutic help during this journey.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 474 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 391 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 36 views