What's on your Sunday Menu RNYers?

Queen JB
on 7/21/19 3:16 am, edited 7/21/19 3:25 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Hellooooo Hotties!

It is currently 6am and there is a "real feel" of 89 degrees right now, and going up to 113 today. Blergh. Send help--we are melting!

QOTD: Today is National Ice Cream Day! Have you tried ice cream post-op? Personally, I never cared for ice cream too much. I am lactose intolerant, but only to cream based things, so ice cream has never made me feel well. But I do like fro-yo, especially the kinds at real dairy ice cream stands that have all of the candy mixed in! I think Grim and I have gone to local creameries 3 times post op, and each time we get a kid sized cone, and each time we basically want to curl up and DIE afterwards. I don't know what is wrong with us that we can't learn that lesson permanently...#nottoobright

Accountability: I didn't exercise, because... 113 degrees. And last night, I sat down with a whole can of nuts instead of counting them out, and probably doubled the serving size. I think I stayed within my calorie range, though, and weight stayed steady this morning.

Exercise: Ugh, I am not sure if I can handle anything except for swimming, and I am not sure that I am going to make it to a pool or beach today. I owe my 1/2 marathon training a few miles, but I don't know...

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

catwoman7
on 7/21/19 4:07 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin'!

We had some crazy thunderstorms last night, which luckily cooled things down a lot - only 80 degrees today and less humid. YAY! Hopefully the storms are headed out your way, JB!

Not sure DH and MIL will make it all the way here tonight or not. They'd planned on staying in Columbus last night, but only got close to the OH/PA border when she wanted to stop. So they probably have 10 hours left - not a problem for DH, but I don't think MIL is good for that long. I'm betting they'll stop in Champagne or Bloomington IL tonight - but we'll see.

I'm meeting my mom later on this morning for coffee, but that's it. I'll do some more cleaning today and hopefully get some exercise in, too.

QOTD: I can eat small amounts of ice cream - too much makes me feel like crap. I really like protein ice creams like Halo Top, so I've tried making my own - and lately I've been experimenting with making FroYo, too.

accountability was good yesterday

4 years 1 month out:

B: protein pancakes with 1/3 C plain Greek yogurt and homemade fruit compote (no added sugar), coffee with half & half

MS: more coffee with half & half. Maybe a protein bar.

L: pulled pork and grilled zucchini

AS: frozen protein shake

D: 1/2 Beyond Burger on 1/2 skinny "bun" with light mayo, tomato, and lettuce. Maybe corn on the cob or more grilled zucchini

have a great day, all!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Queen JB
on 7/21/19 8:47 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I wanted to like HaloTop but I don't.. Just as well I suppose!

Erin T.
on 7/21/19 4:24 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Morning! We also had an extreme heat warning yesterday and lucked out like crazy by having a stationary thunderstorm sit just south of us. We got over 3 hours of thunder and lightening show, but barely a drop of rain and a stiff cool breeze. From 1-4pm it was around 75 degrees and breezy. Hilariously, there were more people out of their houses than there has been since we moved here a month ago. It's supposed to be really hot again today, but we're spending the day at the pool with friends.

QOTD: I love ice cream, but my body doesn't love the sugar in it. I had VSG and therefore I don't dump, but since I have diabetes I feel gross when I eat more than few bites. I occasionally purchase "diet" ice cream (I like the Ben & Jerry's version) if I'm feeling like eating some but even that I quickly tire from.

My Food:

• Left over Filet Mignon from dinner last night & eggs - Jon and I went out for a combination celebration of our anniversary (6/16), moving into our new house (6/20), Jon getting a new job (7/15), and my finishing up a huge project at work (7/19). I had Filet and whipped garlic potatoes and we shared a piece of Carrot Cake that after both of us ate some you couldn't even tell we touched it, it was so huge. So, now it's in the fridge for the kids.
  • TBD, we'll be at the pool with friends.
  • Pork chops w/ Veggies or leftover chili

Exercise: I ran just shy of 7 miles on trails yesterday, before it cooled down for the storm (so much for getting up early to run! I should have waited). I have 2-3 today to do as a recovery run and I'll probably head out soon to do those miles.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Queen JB
on 7/21/19 8:50 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Congrats on all of your milestones! And wow you are really doing great with the distance running! When did you get up to 7 miles?

Erin T.
on 7/21/19 10:23 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I've been running 5 days per week consistently since February. I increase my long runs by 1 mile per month. So, by the end of July I'll be at a Saturday 8 mile run and then 9 in August and 10 in September, etc.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

White Dove
on 7/21/19 5:02 am - Warren, OH

I was not lactose intolerant before RNY. I am now. Before surgery, ice cream was my greatest pleasure. My mother considered ice cream an important and essential nutrient. We had it for dessert every day.

When I was growing up, every Sunday drive included a trip to the Dairy Queen. Every time we went downtown shopping, my mother stopped at the local Isaly's Dairy and bought me a vanilla milkshake. In my high school cafeteria, you could get a small milkshake for ten cents. I think I had one every day along with the ten cent serving of fresh hot fried potatoes.

I did not care for alcohol until a waitress at a restaurant introduced me to ice cream based drinks like a Pink Squirrel. Basically a chocolate milkshake that I could order at a bar.

When I went grocery shopping, I sometimes opened the ice cream first and had a bowl of partially melted ice cream before I put the rest of the groceries away. I remember one time when my husband was out of town for the weekend and I ate Breyer's strawberry and cream ice cream every meal that weekend.

When I used to do the Atkins diet, I discovered a device that cost about $15 and it turned all of that fresh cream, vanilla extract, and Splenda into fantasti**** cream. I remember paying $7 for a scoop of ice cream at a hotel in London and being disappointed in it.

After surgery, I drank protein shakes at least three or four times a day. I purchased an ice cream maker with self refrigeration and turned those shakes into soft serve ice cream. It kept me from any thoughts of going to the Dairy Queen. When lactose intolerance reared its ugly head at six months out, I switched to Lactaid milk and continued with my ice cream fixes.

I always spent a lot of time in the water. Now I do all of my exercise in the water. Every day in the summer that the weather allows, I am in the pool and spend at least one hour just walking in the water. Then I do laps or other exercise in the pool. In the spring, fall, and winter, I am a****er aerobics at least three times a week. In really cold weather, I like to sit in the steam room before water aerobics. I always spend a half hour in the hot tub after aerobics. Often I stay another hour to walk in the pool or swim laps.

While I love the machines at the gym, I have ended up with a lot of pain and severe muscle cramping doing exercise on dry land. I am also 71 years old and that has a lot to do with that happening. I never end up hurting the next day after exercising in water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

seattledeb
on 7/21/19 5:14 am

My mother's favorite as well. Her last meal was a chocolate malt.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/19 5:05 pm

Until I was diagnosed with whey and casein (dairy proteins) allergies I always made and had protein ice cream. Unfortunately any other proteins don't taste as good as whey and since the shakes are rather nasty, the icecream are also not very good. I tried coconut cream ice cream, but it is too much coconut taste.

I do make soft ice cream blending frozen berries with some collagen based proteins. That is not too bad.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

seattledeb
on 7/21/19 5:21 am

There are a few foods that really make me sick: ice cream and cereal with milk. On the floor wishing my life was over. I really miss it.

Today I ate curry chickpeas,yogurt. Iced cold brew,steel cut oats with pecans and some bacon.

No sugar or PB.

Exceeded my step count and danced around the house all night. I love wireless headphones.

Stay cool.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views