Fastest way to reverse protein deficiency?

Amy R.
on 7/21/19 9:13 pm

Hey all.

Anybody have ideas on how to reverse a sizable protein deficiency? Long story, bottom line: hard lesson learned.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. I've got no experience with this whatsoever. Thanks for whatever you've got!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/22/19 3:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Just focus on protein. Some types are more digestible than others. Whey protein and eggs are at the top of the list for digestibility scores. Meat proteins are close behind. Plant proteins are farther down, some by a lot. Collagen is at rock bottom.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 8:43 am

Thank you. I was going to ask if collagen was helpful now that I'm pretty far out.

Can we actually eat so much protein that we over-stress our systems? I've got stage three kidney disease and haven't heard back from nephrology yet.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/22/19 4:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

High protein isn't an ussue, unless you have an existing kidney problem. You should really get a plan from a doc who knows about both.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 7/23/19 8:37 am

Thanks! Still waiting for a return call from nephrologist. Should happen today for sure.

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/19 7:08 am

DEFINITELY! What does your doctor say ? Usually low protein diets are recommended for kidney patients !

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/22/19 5:10 am

I'm working on that right also. Since I can't have dairy (I'm allergic to the milk proteins) or soy, I make sure I use other proteins. Eggs are great, and I can eat 3-4 eggs. I often add avocados to increase the fat.

When I am depleted - I try to get proteins together with simple fat and get some carbs.

When I concentrate only on proteins, I may be limited how much I can eat/drink. When I get mostly lean proteins, but not other elements - my body may start using proteins for energy. But adding carbs ,+ fat - gives me fuel to burn, as I am restoring my blood levels proteins. Smaller meals, but more often - may also help. Taking digestive enzymes (i.e papaya, or enzymes needed to digest mostly proteins may be helpful.

BTW- avoiding proteins that I am allergic to, even mildly allergic to, is a good idea. Knowing what my body and digestive track is sensitive to is important.

When I am at or below my weight goal, eating low carb may make my appetite to disappear. When I am not hungry, it also feels like my pouch is smaller. When I am not hungry, and get busy, I may forget to eat. When I am trying to get as much proteins as I can - dense proteins may fill me for hours at a time. To be able to eat more - I may increase my carbs plus I would try, even just temporary, concentrate on slider foods, and not really dense proteins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 8:47 am

Thank you for all of this Hala.

I too have been attempting to focus on just adding dense proteins to my diet but then get too full to eat for hours. Interesting thoughts on the sliders.

It feels like I'm eating all the time and I don't want to encourage that. At the same time I've got to consider the situation so it's all kind of confusing over here right now.

Grim's hierarchy of proteins is really helpful. Maslow's got nothing on our resident meat expert.

catwoman7
on 7/22/19 6:11 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I have that issue. My prealbumin level tanks unless I average 100+ grams of protein a day. In addition to what the others have said, I have a protein shake every morning as my morning snack (or depending on the situation, a protein bar - but that is very infrequent). That will pretty much guarantee I'll meet my goal by the end of the day - and keeps me from worrying all day about whether or not I'm getting enough. You CAN do it through food alone, though - you'll just have to REALLY focus on your protein intake all day.

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 8:48 am

Thanks for this. I feel like I can't keep up and sometimes am just barely holding steady. It's time to challenge that and do better. Maybe I will break out the shakes. It probably can't hurt. =)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics