food passing through our bypassed GI system

momyshaver
on 7/29/19 2:49 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well as we move closer to August (already!). I had a food and anatomy related question. I am noticing that I can sometimes eat foods and they seem to be tolerated ok as I am eating them (the foods that are safe for me to eat right now) but then later, even the next day I notice horrible discomfort that I am nearly sure is the food moving along at different points in my bypassed anatomy. I have 2 locations where I notice this discomfort. One is on my left side, lower down, (I have had surgery to tack up some small intestine that was starting to twist after my bypass so I don't know if it is scar tissue or what. I just try to be patient and the feeling eventually subsides). The other location is lower but further along the GI system iykwim. I am really frustrated because I don't know what the answer is. Too high carbs sends my heartrate up uncomfortably and I need the protein but some of the forms I am craving so badly end up causing next day pain. Am I alone in experiencing this or have others also experienced this? I was not thinking this far post op it would be something I would be dealing with but I have had a few complications so I know my post op experience is not the norm. Separating out what is my norm vs. what others also deal with has been something I need to do for my own benefit as a gauge for progress, I guess. Thanks for any input or shared experience

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/19 8:00 am

I get IBF? like symptoms if I eat a high fat meal like ribs or full fat cheese . I tend to eat fat in spurts ( one fatty meal makes me crave another ) . The next morning I often have to run to the toilet and I usually wake up with my tummy cramping .

I know my RNY is working because the product is yellow and often you can even see fat globules in the water .

I don't get issues from " carbs" because I usually eat them fat-free and as sugar free as possible . I do " dump " from one too many tastes of a catered dessert ( which is a horror show involving rolling on the ground sweating swearing to God I'll never do it again just please take this pain away ... ) I assume you're familiar with this side effect of the RNY and that's not what Ure talking about ... hope this is slightly helpful

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 287 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 287 views