RNY vs VSG

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/19 11:37 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

The same result happened for me regarding Type 2 Diabetes. Two weeks prior to surgery (during the SlimTime liquid diet) I stopped taking Trajenta and Metformin and have maintained an A1C average of 5.2 for the past 5 months.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/4/19 2:23 am, edited 9/3/19 7:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

From a strictly diabetes-related aspect, RNY is better for remission than VSG. Studies have put the diabetes remission rate at 85% for DS, 80% for RNY, and 60% for VSG.

You guys are clearly in the 60%

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

texan gal
on 9/3/19 6:26 pm
RNY on 02/29/12

I had RNY in February 2012 and lost 120 pounds within the 15 months or so, but it wasn't easy. I had to work for every pound by following my eating plan and exercising a lot. There was no "honeymoon period" for me other than the mere fact that I actually did lose weight. (I even wondered, sometimes, if my surgeon had actually done the correct surgery.. LOL)

I had a BMI of 47 but had no weight-related health problems, other than the beginnings of GERD thanks to a completely out of control Diet Coke problem. (Diet Coke drinker with a BMI of 47 - the irony doesn't escape me.) Otherwise, I had no high blood pressure, no Diabetes, etc. and, as a result, I was going to have to pay out of pocket. So, I wanted the procedure that had the most longitudinal data behind it regarding resolution/delay of obesity-related health problems and weight loss maintenance.

If you take NSAIDS on a regular basis, that may be a deciding factor for you. NSAIDS are a no-no after RNY and I won't take them, ever. However, in the past, NSAIDS were permissible after VSG. Check with your doctor on that.

(I do miss being able to take NSAIDS for muscle pain, migraines, etc. BUT even so, RNY was the right choice for me.)

catwoman7
on 9/3/19 10:01 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery is now recommending that VSG patients avoid NSAIDs, too, from what I understand.

Cathy H.
on 9/3/19 11:01 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Absolutely, I was told absolutely no NSAIDs after surgery, and my surgeon verifies every year on my checkup!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Wendyrnyjourney
on 9/3/19 11:50 pm - CA

Fortunately I've rarely needed to take any pain relievers at all but thank you for that info- I didn't know that about NSAIDS.

I have to say that I feel better and more informed with the responses I have received. I am SO happy I found this forum! I don't personally know anyone that has had bariatric surgery so it's been a little isolating. The website shows that there is an upcoming convention in Anaheim, CA which is only about 90 minutes from me so I am going to go to that for more all-around information and to hopefully make some "friendly" connections.

ScaleSkater
on 9/4/19 6:53 am

Non-scientific, but this topic came up at my last support group meeting. There are generally 30 vets in attendance, plus another 20 newbies and 20 exploring. Big group. The vets were asked RNY - raise your hands - keep them up if at goal and maintaining. Only two lowered there hands (but they had disappeared from the group and really not doing any of the basics, only recently returning). Same of VSGers (we split about 50/50) and only about half had their hands still up. Most had lost a lot of weight, but never reached their intended goal. The surgeon who was the speaker then discussed the stats and why he tends to recommend RNY due to the higher weight loss retention rates he sees.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Wendyrnyjourney
on 9/4/19 7:10 am - CA

That's great to hear! Thank you!!

Melody P.
on 9/4/19 11:08 am - Amarillo, TX

I had VSG done March of 2018. Went well at first. Then came the GERD. It was brutal! It made me miserable AND the weight loss stalled at about 7 months out. I got very depressed and my mental health meds were jacked with so I was in a tough spot.

I was revised to an RNY in late May of this year. It's gone better and I wish, everyday, that I had the RNY to begin with. The VSG can be and is great for a lot of people. I also had my type 2 diabetes come back a wee bit and had to start taking a low dose of metformin before I had the revision. The RNY for me has been moodier but still VERY manageable.

it takes a lot of reading and soul searching to find what's best for yourself. No one procedure is the best or the worst for everyone.

Wendyrnyjourney
on 9/4/19 12:24 pm - CA

Thank you Melody. I've never had heartburn or anything like that and I sure don't want to start now...another reason why I chose RNY. Sure glad it cleared up for you. All the best for your continued success!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?