RNY questions

Rnyjen
on 9/4/19 5:48 am

I am 6 days post RNY. I had my surgery in Mexico (no judgement please), so I am unable to ask my surgeons questions.

I suffered with GERD pre- surgery and was hoping this surgery would fix that. I am waking up at night with severe heartburn. Will this go away? Can I take my Protonix ( small pill)?

When did you start taking pills after surgery?

When did you start vitamins?

Thank you so much!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/4/19 8:49 am

I would find a good gastro that can help you with things like that. You may need to shop around for a RNY friendly and good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Julia S.
on 9/4/19 8:58 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

My surgeon had me on Omeprazole 2 times a day, pre-op I did have heartburn and GERD and it went away after surgery. However I did develop and ulcer when I stopped taking it, so after 2 bouts with an ulcer with no h pylori bacteria my surgeon has me continue taking the Omeprazole twice a day.

I started taking pills immediately after surgery. I also started bariatric vitamins (chewables) right after surgery, and was given prescription for vitamin D and ursadiol to prevent gall stones.

Sparklekitty has a great spreadsheet showing what is recommended for vitamins.

Take care of yourself!

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/4/19 9:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had GERD before my RNY and freaked out when I still had acid in my throat after the surgery. It got better after a few days. My surgeon put me on Prilosec and I'll be taking it for six months, so I imagine it couldn't hurt to take your Protonix.

I took my pills the day I got home. I have bipolar, so skipping pills is not an option. I had to cut up the bigger one, but had no trouble taking a small piece with a tiny sip of water.

Vitamins can also start right away. You can cut up larger vitamin tablets, or look for adult chewables (not Flintstones) to use for the first couple of weeks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/4/19 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Most surgeons put RNYers on a PPI for 6 montgs after surgery. Long term your reflux should be gone, but right after surgery there has been a lot of trauma done to your innards. Things will get better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Queen JB
on 9/4/19 2:20 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Like the above posters I suffered with GERD pre-op and took Prilosec for 6 months after surgery. I still get little flare ups now and again but it's largely gone. I never had a problem with pills or vitamins after surgery.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

texan gal
on 9/4/19 4:41 pm
RNY on 02/29/12

I started taking vitamins right away because I ordered chewables. Even 7 years out, I still get the chewables because I like them. LOL

Regarding pills, I was on a couple of medications and was able to cut them fairly early on to make them tolerable.

animallover1247
on 9/5/19 5:23 pm

You just had surgery so give it some time. However , if your symptoms continue you may need to see a gastroenterologist. There's a video on YouTube " Five gastric bypass surgery myths." The first myth is you cannot have reflux after surgery. The surgeon explains all reason this can happen. For me it was candy cane syndrome. The video is by Dr. Duc Vuong.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 328 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 328 views