Eating out soon after surgery

RnYMan
on 9/4/19 2:21 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

Hi, all. I will be traveling on a long-ago-planned trip with friends to Las Vegas 3.5 weeks after surgery. We will no double be walking a lot. We will be going to a very nice restaurant. Obviously I can't eat from the typical menu. I will still be on soft foods. Any suggestion for navigating a soft diet while traveling this soon after surgery? My BMI is 30, so I'm not currently limited in mobility.

RnYMan
on 9/4/19 2:21 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

Hi, all. I will be traveling on a long-ago-planned trip with friends to Las Vegas 3.5 weeks after surgery. We will no double be walking a lot. We will be going to a very nice restaurant. Obviously I can't eat from the typical menu. I will still be on soft foods. Any suggestion for navigating a soft diet while traveling this soon after surgery? My BMI is 30, so I'm not currently limited in mobility.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/4/19 3:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If it were me, I wouldnt risk it. At 3.5 weeks postoperative, the list of acceptable foods was very short. And trying things for the first time, in a distracted environment, can turn out badly. I'd be sticking to protein shakes during the trip.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

RnYMan
on 9/4/19 3:48 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

Thanks. How would you manage that while traveling? Just take a bunch of the ones that are already prepared rather than dealing with power, milk and mixing I'm guessing?

texan gal
on 9/4/19 4:30 pm
RNY on 02/29/12

That would probably be the easiest thing to do. However, keep in mind that if you're flying, you'll have to check your bag or, even easier, just buy them when you get to Las Vegas.

If you don't have a preferred, pre-made protein shake, you can use September to try out several brands. :-)

You might be able to tolerate scrambled eggs or fish by then, but very, very little of it. Just 3.5 weeks out won't be the time to be adventurous or distracted by friends at the dinner table.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/4/19 4:36 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Most people like Premier premixed and some of the others, but I was never a fan of premixed. I could get them down, but preferred not to. I liked some of the powders a lot. Do what works for you.

Most of all, drink a lot, especially if you'll be outside a lot. The number one problem in the first couple of months after surgery is not drinking enough.

Maybe if you're carrying around a cooler bottle all day, you can swap in protein drinks without drawing attention, if that's something you are worried about.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

RnYMan
on 9/4/19 4:57 pm
RNY on 10/08/19

I'm lactose intolerant, so the non-isopure ones are problematic for me. I love Unjury (used it after my lapband) but recently tried the pre-prepared version and want a fan. I could definitely deal with it for a couple of days though. It's just a weekend trip. It looks like the premier protein drinks are not isopure. They do sound tasty though.

Partlypollyanna
on 9/4/19 5:59 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I travelled a few weeks after surgery; took an uber to the nearest grocery store and bought my RTD shakes there -- I've also traveled with protein powder and a blender bottle. The best ones for me for that was the syntrax -- single portions were so easy to just shake up! I don't know if they are lactose free though.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 9/4/19 6:33 pm - Warren, OH

Carry Lactaid with you too.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/19 5:51 am

3.5 weeks after my surgery I was still recovering. I personally wouldn't risk going on a trip. Specially to Vegas. I would postpone either the trip or surgery.

Dehydration can be a real problem. Plus any type of complication, slow healing wound, nausea, extra pain, etc... I would not take chances.

In the first few weeks it was really hard to watch others eat. Plus smelling some foods (fried food) made me severely nauseated in first 2-3 months post op.

You may not have any side effects or limitations. But I would risk the trip.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics