Chaffles!

Daisydoo02
on 9/6/19 9:20 am, edited 9/6/19 10:35 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hello RNYers,

Looking for a great high protein, low carb yummy meal or snack, here is it: Chaffles! What is a chaffle you ask? Its a Cheese Waffle! Aka Keto Egg & Cheese Waffle. These can be made, plain, sweet or savory!

So I went down the IG rabbit hole the other day (too many damn cute animal videos out there that suddenly two hours has passed and my phone battery is dead!) and found this video for a person who follows the Keto eating style and she was making "Chaffles." I was intrigued! Watched her video, went to her webiste and now I am obsessed.

All you need is a waffle maker, some eggs, some cheese and bam done! Here is some of the ideas from the site I got this idea from and the directions to make a basic egg/cheese chaffle:

INGREDIENTS

2 Eggs

1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat your waffle maker. Then in a small bowl, beat the eggs. Add the shredded cheese and mix until well combined.

2. Pour the chaffle batter into 2 ungreased waffle maker spots. Cook for approx. 6 ? 8 minutes. or until golden brown.

This recipe makes 2 regular sized Keto Egg and Cheese Chaffles or 4 mini Chaffles.

RECIPE TIPS:

? This recipe can be made with any type of grated cheese. Typically mozzarella is used for the sweeter ones and cheddar is used when a little more flavour is desired.

? If using an older waffle iron, you may want to grease your iron a small amount before adding the batter.

? Let the Chaffles cool completely before freezing or storing in fridge.

? Reheat @ 400 F in the oven, toaster oven, air fryer or a skillet

NUTRITIONAL INFO

1 Batch of Keto Egg and Cheese Chaffle = 2 Servings / 2 Chaffles

Each Serving or 1 Chaffle =

240 Calories | 17.3 g Fat | 1.6 g Carbs | 0 g Fibre | 18.7 g Protein

Here are other variations on sweet or savory chaffles:

Chaffle Sandwiches ? From Steak Sammies to BLT?s?There?s no limit to the different types of sandwiches that can be made with these delicious chaffles!

Chaffle Tuna Melts ? Use the chaffle as a base for the tuna melt. Mix the tuna with mayo, spread the tuna over the chaffle then cover with cheese. Melt in the oven until cheese is melted.

Cinnamon Sugar ? Use mozzarella for sweet chaffles and add in a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a 1/2 a tsp of sweetener to the batter before cooking.

Pizza Chaffles ? Mix in 1 Tbsp low carb tomato sauce and 2 tbsp of diced pepperoni or you can use the chaffle as a base and put your pizza toppings on top.

Peanut Butter Chaffles ? Use mozzarella cheese and add sweetener and 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

Chocolate Chaffles ? Use mozzarella cheese and add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder, 2 tbsp of almond flour and a little sweetener.

ENJOY!!!! - I am so making the BLT Chaffle this weekend

ETA: This website author also does a chaffle blueberry muffin, I love love love blueberry muffins, this I am for sure going to try! Link here: Chaffle Blueberry Muffin

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Dcgirl
on 9/6/19 9:27 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Daisy, these look heavenly! You could even add in diced jalapeño or some spices and seasonings to change their flavor profile. I want to try this!

I once heard about people making Thanksgiving leftovers into waffles and did it one year. I freaking LOVED it but Kris and the kids prefer plain old sweet waffles. But after Thanksgiving, you mix up leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes, and turkey, and make it into a waffle. It's awesome.

For low carb and high protein, chaffles can't be beat!

Daisydoo02
on 9/6/19 9:48 am, edited 9/6/19 4:56 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Right! I saw one IG person make a copy cat Red Lobster cheese biscuit into a chaffle. She added in extra cheddar cheese, and old bay seasoning, it looked so good. I think jalapeno & spices would be awesome.

You know I prefer sweet over savory any day so I have my eye on the cinnamon sugar chaffle or a pain chaffle mixed with bacon and SF maple syrup on top. The combos are endless!

I love the idea of a mock thanksgiving chaffle, hmmm got me thinking how to make this WLS friendly.

I also love the idea of making a plain chaffle and using it like bread for any type of sandwich or in replace of a burger bun. I think I might make a Mexican chaffle with taco seasoning and put taco meat with all the sides.

Looks like I know what I am doing this weekend!

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

MadisonRose
on 9/6/19 9:32 am
RNY on 01/23/19

Omg I am so trying this!! Will be pulling out my waffle maker this weekend! Can't wait! Thank you!

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Daisydoo02
on 9/6/19 9:49 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

You are very welcome Madison Rose, let us know what you end up making and what you thought! Enjoy!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/19 10:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The pizza ones sound fab! I'm going to bust out my mini waffle iron and try these!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Daisydoo02
on 9/6/19 10:25 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I know! I miss pizza so much since having surgery so this seems like a great substitute. Let us know if you make it and how it tastes!

Cathy H.
on 9/6/19 3:20 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Do it, SK! You won't be sorry! They have become a mainstay of my keto world!! LONG LIVE THE CHAFFLE!!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Daisydoo02
on 9/6/19 5:24 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Yay Cathy you love the Chaffle!

Do you have a go to recipe or a sweet or savory one you can share with us? Its great to hear of someone who eats these on a regular basis!

Cathy H.
on 9/6/19 9:50 pm, edited 9/6/19 2:51 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I have 2 recipes I use, both from Ketoconnect.net.

Basic Chaffle

1 egg

1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choiice

Put half cheese in single waffle maker, then egg, then other half of cheese, cook for about 5 mins.

Sweet Chaffle

For the sweet chaffle we are going to be mixing everything together before pouring into the waffle maker. This is different from the savory chaffle where we assembled everything right onto the waffle maker. Mix all of the above ingredients together in a small bowl and pour into the waffle maker.

The sweet chaffle will take longer to cook than the savory one. Let it coo****il the steam stops coming off of the waffle maker. That?s how you know it?s done!

***For the sweet chaffle you need a regular 4-waffle maker, or split it up into2-4 single chaffles depending on how thin and crispy you like them

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics