Meal Size / Fatigue

Utodc
on 9/7/19 7:27 am
RNY on 03/23/17

I had surgery Feb 2017. It was to address peptic ulcer and my RNY left me with 70% of my stomach so I don't have a real restriction and can eat normal meal Size.

I am having problems with fatigue and have had all labs and some minor deficiency in D B12 Folate.

In experimenting with food I find if I eat big meals it "overwhelms" my body and fatigue is crushing.

When I fast I seem to feel "normal"-ish.

Also my bowel activity is explosive and watery since surgery.

When I fast I seem to feel "normal"-ish.

Wondering what people think about "small" meal size in terms of managing fatigue and improving bowel activity.

I still have a good appetite and love to eat.

By the way I started at 232lbs and I'm 145lbs @ 5'10 50 yr old male.

Feedback appreciated.

D

Grim_Traveller
on 9/7/19 8:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fatigue usually comes after eating higher carbs. It causes reactive hypoglycemia, which is a blood sugar crash. Eating just protein and fats usually does not trigger fatigue.

Eating high carbs also triggers watery stools.

More info on what exactly you are eating would help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Utodc
on 9/7/19 9:30 am
RNY on 03/23/17

Thanks for your feedback.

I have noticed a difference if I stay mainly protein although I tend towards alot of eggs and ground beef which has higher fat content which may play a role in the stool.

In the past staying mostly protein has improved stool but was still floating.

I've testing my blood sugar and it seems normal after eating. No crash although I can spend the day sleeping in a chair and wake exhausted. Grrr.

The reason I suspect I may be overwhelming my body's ability to handle the food is I had an endoscopy done about s month back and when I fasted I felt amazing.

Thinking I need to strictly adhere to the small meals and see. Give the body s chance to process the food.

It's s if the body needs to dedicate so much energy to process the food that I totally crash.

Frustrating process to learn how to use this new system.

D

OnlineAnnie
on 9/8/19 1:12 am

If you awaken from a sleep feeling exhausted you should get a sleep apnea test. If you're not breathing well during sleep you will feel fatigued afterwards. Good luck to you.

Utodc
on 9/7/19 9:43 am
RNY on 03/23/17

Thanks for your feedback.

I have noticed a difference if I stay mainly protein although I tend towards alot of eggs and ground beef which has higher fat content which may play a role in the stool.

In the past staying mostly protein has improved stool but was still floating.

I've testing my blood sugar and it seems normal after eating. No crash although I can spend the day sleeping in a chair and wake exhausted. Grrr.

The reason I suspect I may be overwhelming my body's ability to handle the food is I had an endoscopy done about s month back and when I fasted I felt amazing.

Thinking I need to strictly adhere to the small meals and see. Give the body s chance to process the food.

It's s if the body needs to dedicate so much energy to process the food that I totally crash.

Frustrating process to learn how to use this new system.

D

White Dove
on 9/7/19 10:02 am - Warren, OH

The watery stools can be from not enough fiber. I take Citrucel because it is the only one that does not cause gas and bloating. Most people take fiber to deal with constipation, but it also absorbs water and adds bulk.

You are still in the malabsorption stage of RNY, which means your body is not absorbing all the calories or the vitamins and minerals in the food that you are eating.

It is just passing through without being absorbed. That is why taking your vitamins is so important. it is only six months, but you could already have some deficiency that is making you so tired. For me, small meals is what I usually eat. I stick to between 200 and 300 calories and eat five small meals a day. For most people what I eat would be a snack, not a meal.

You might want to contact your surgeon or personal physician for complete bloodwork.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Utodc
on 9/7/19 10:22 am
RNY on 03/23/17

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just to point out I'm 2.5 years out and still think I'm malabsorbing.

White Dove
on 9/7/19 11:02 am - Warren, OH

I did think you were closer to surgery. I know that I malabsorbed for 2.5 years. Some things were probably still being malabsorbed at five years out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Utodc
on 9/7/19 11:24 am
RNY on 03/23/17

TheWombat
on 9/7/19 12:28 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Have you been evaluated for sleep apnea?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 239 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics