5 weeks Post-Op suddenly nauseas for 24 hours

nomorebiggirl
on 9/17/19 4:15 pm
RNY on 08/14/19

I have been nauseas since attempting to eat some chicken last night (third try on the chicken so I give up on that for awhile) I can keep water down but I'm not drinking much. I had some soup for dinner and that's all today. Nausea meds aren't helping. Should I call my dr? There's a stomach bug going around work too so I'm not sure if it's me or the stomach bug that's going around. Oh, I had no nausea issues before moving onto soft foods, even straight out of surgery I didn't have issues.

Kathyjs
on 9/17/19 5:49 pm

Chicken early out is a hard one for many but 24 nausea brings to mind flu, hope you feel better

nomorebiggirl
on 9/17/19 5:55 pm
RNY on 08/14/19

I can do ground beef without issues, chicken is a no. Nothing else so far has been an issue. I'm thinking bug from work but I don't ever get sick. Trying to drink a protein shake now and it's not going down well. Thanks for responding. I'll call dr in the am if it's not better.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/18/19 4:10 am

Make sure you drink as much as you can, and at least 64 oz of liquids.

Dehydration can cause nausea.

Some people have problem with chicken for a long time (months) after RNY. For me ground meats were the biggest issue. I could eat chicken starting app 4 weeks post op. But nothing that used ground meat.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 9/18/19 5:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You're what, 5 weeks out of surgery? I wasn't eating any of those things at 5 weeks. My plan didn't allow them until 8 weeks.

Go slow. This is still brand new to you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

nomorebiggirl
on 9/18/19 4:04 pm
RNY on 08/14/19

Thanks everyone for your replies- even though I can't spell nauseous, lol. Called the Dr today and they brought me in for fluids and I feel much better. I was pretty dehydrated. Who knew drinking water would be the hardest part after this surgery?! I was told that was probably the reason for the terrible nausea. I have a fitbit to remind me every 5 minutes to drink but that only works when I remember to wear the fitbit.

Grim- as for the chicken and beef we are permitted soft foods and chicken and ground beef were listed as foods. The nutritionist said not baked chicken because it was tougher but boiled chicken or rotisserie (which is what i had) was okay. Not for me obviously. Ground beef I have no issues with. It's funny how all Dr's and plans are different. I'm not permitted ANY coffee- ever again- decaf or caffeinated or any soda. That was difficult when I see everyone else having decaf at least. That's hard for me because I loved my coffee but I gave it up for this. Although, I almost looked for another surgeon to allow coffee but after I quit I don't miss it.

Tracywaites
on 9/18/19 7:42 pm

I eventually had to use suppositories for my nausea the pills had no effect on me! I've learned to take my Pepcid, vitamins, zofran and pain meds first thing in the morning otherwise I will vomit and be miserable all day. It's still difficult to eat and drink I'm learning this is a process and I need to be patient! I hope you feel better and maybe asking your dr for another nausea medication will help

nomorebiggirl
on 9/19/19 6:35 am
RNY on 08/14/19

Hi Tracy, I take my Pepcid first thing along with my first multivitamin and a probiotic. I've never needed pain meds (only gave me Tylenol anyway in the hospital) and the nausea meds don't really help much. I was very dehydrated so that's why I was nauseous. I haven't had a day that I get 64 oz of water, close with my protein shakes if I can get two of them in. This is the hardest part of this surgery. After the IV fluids yesterday I'm feeling better and set a timer to remind me to drink more.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 25 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?