Anyone else become an alcoholic post RNY?

momyshaver
on 9/24/19 4:05 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I was researching transfer addictions and drinking in particular. I came across so much information that continues to be collected as more people have bariatric surgery and deal with life after. Alcohol hits us more quickly and it also wears off more quickly. It is still in our bodies if we drink even after we "feel fine". Please be careful. Our bodies are not the same as they were before surgery but we are responsible for what we do, even if we don't fully understand this new physiology. The consequences are very real.

This is sort of off topic but I wonder if some of us don't struggle more after bariatric surgery due to the disruption in gut flora and how it impacts mental health. I think many of us are still ahead in our health if we make the right choices but I am reading more about how gut health impacts mental health and I think that field of science is going to expand in the future. I still think a lot of it is related to the other changes and stresses of post op life but I think gut flora is tied in there as well as something to keep in mind in recovery. Social support is really important as well. I think I am seeing more support groups online and offline, such as AA, Celebrate Recovery, etc.

Julia S.
on 9/24/19 10:24 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I don't consider myself an alcoholic but it has become an issue in my life. I have been using alcohol to deal with the stress from my job. And I'm sure you all know there is a fine line between being buzzed and being drunk. In order to get enough to feel good I have to drink fast and then if you drink one too many you are into the obnoxious drunk mode. I've quit drinking for periods of time and I am trying to find ways to deal with my stress that don't involve alcohol. I'm not sure if I can just have one or two glasses of wine and stop. I'm also not sure if I should. I know the alcohol goes directly to the liver and that is not healthy for any of us. When I stop drinking it's like I don't really care about it. It's not like I really miss it, or need to have it.

I have an appointment with my NP tomorrow and I will definitely talk to her about this.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views