Eating regular foods

Tracywaites
on 10/4/19 8:56 pm

this is a cry for help! Everything I've tried has hurt my stomach! Salads, tuna, eggs! Among other things today has been awful crawling at the toilet and crying! I feel as though I was left behind to figure this out? Okay not looking for pity but maybe some good starting foods! Thx in advance for reading and helping me

Grim_Traveller
on 10/5/19 2:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Stop pushing things. You're not even 8 weeks out yet?

Salads have no place in your diet right now. You should be eating things your body needs, and nothing that it doesn't. That means protein only, pretty much.

It can take many months for some people to tolerate eggs and tuna. You need soft protein. After 8 weeks I started on things like deli meat. Ham or chicken, sliced super thin. It's moist, and chewed well, went down easily.

If something bothers you, cross it off your list for a month. Go back to really soft food like yogurt for a day.

Take things slow. You had major surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracywaites
on 10/5/19 9:51 am

Eggs, tuna were in the menu for soft foods, so that's confusing not whole eggs but the egg whites! I agree the shakes sit better and I'm getting protein. Thx for feedback

Tracywaites
on 10/5/19 10:55 am

Just a question. I was given a book to read and at eight weeks it has me starting regular foods! My dietician was only concerned that I eat 72-90 grams of protein and what my size plate should look like. So it's truly confusing but my stomach is telling me by the pain. Any advice is welcome thx

Partlypollyanna
on 10/5/19 12:58 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Mine was liquids, purées, soft foods and then regular foods. I think it was 16 weeks before I was cleared for anything I wanted to try. To be honest though, I get better input from the people on OH than my RD...and I actually had a very solid RD. At 8 weeks, using shakes to meet your protein goals doesn't seem unusual to me but everyone is different. There are people on here that never used shakes once they healed!

Like some of the posters have said, maybe go slower in your progression or only add one new thing/try one thing again over a longer period (maybe one a week). My meals were very routine and repetitive for a long time...to be fair, they are still pretty repetitive but that's because it's the easy route for me.

i hope things start going better for you

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

momyshaver
on 10/5/19 3:51 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Some of the better advice I was given after my first surgery was that if something did not sit well to back off and try something else UNLESS it went really badly. If my stomach was very angry with me for whatever I tried, the advice was to go back to whatever previous stage I had been in to allow my stomach time to rest. We all heal and adapt to these new stomachs of ours in different ways on different time tables. There is certainly no shame to going slow. I realize it is frustrating. It won't always be this way. Things will heal and your stomach will tell you what it likes and doesn't like and even that will change to allow more back over time. Trust me. The key points are to go slow, be patient with yourself and your new tummy, and listen to what it is telling you. Don't force things.

catwoman7
on 10/5/19 5:13 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with Grim. Many people have trouble with eggs the first few months. And salads - I couldn't eat those for at least six months after surgery. Raw vegetables (like those in salads) are really rough on healing stomachs. Even at 4+ years out, raw veggies still occasionally irritate my stomach (but only occasionally - I can usually eat salads now. But at eight weeks out? Never!)

At eight weeks out I was still eating things like yogurt and cottage cheese. Deli meat is also a good suggestion.

Partlypollyanna
on 10/5/19 5:25 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Tracy, do you have any guidelines and food suggestions from your program? Have you looked at the eggface blog for ideas? I agree with everything everyone has said but would also ask if you're measuring everything. Nerves and healing are still taking place so if you're not eating slow, taking baby small bites, and measuring, that could be making it hard on you.

i know for me, I found that I was eating too fast, if I tried to eat food before work. After a couple of times pulling over to throw up on my commute, I switched to protein shakes for breakfast for months and haven't had that issue again.

it takes a while to figure out what works for you but you can do it! Just stay positive, go slow, and you'll get through this!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 10/5/19 4:41 pm - Warren, OH

Everyone does not heal at the same rate. So because you have a piece of paper that says to eat something does not mean your stomach is ready for that food. It might take six months for you to get to what you are supposed to be able to eat at six weeks.

There is no race and you have the rest of your life to eat again. Take your time and save yourself the misery of eating things that make you sick.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views