Weird periodic minor weight gain

Foamhead
on 11/3/19 11:10 pm

I am on about week 7 of my gastric bypass surgery. I have lost significant weight but one thing I notice is sometimes it shoots back up about a pound or pound and a half. There is no way I'm eating nearly enough calories to gain, so where on earth is it coming from? Is that normal? I always go down again in a day or two but this phenomena is baffling.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/19 1:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Its jus****er. Burning fat requires a lot of water. Drinking more might help with the fluctuations, but our bodies vary by a little bit all the time. Its the larger trend that's important.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 11/4/19 5:10 am - Warren, OH

What made a huge difference for me is a smart scale that measures weight, fat, muscle, water, and bone density and sends the results to my computer. Then I can look at all the measurements and see what exactly has changed.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 11/4/19 6:56 am
VSG on 06/11/18

+1 for the smart scale. I didn't see much change in the fat density early on, but once I lost a bit of weight I could see a fairly regular reduction.

I also experience the occasional 1-2 pound "gain" that goes away the next day. The first few times it happened, I panicked a little until I realised there was no way I could really be gaining weight given the number of calories I was eating. Seeing that my fat density has dropped provides extra reassurance.

Although my daily calorie count averages about 800, it varies quite a bit day to day based on how hungry I am and what I'm doing that day. At first I was concerned when I ate, say, 1200 calories, but I found that the next few days I naturally tended to eat less, so the average overall was fine. Anyway, another weird thing I've noticed is that I tend to lose weight the day after I eat more than usual. It's as though my body is reassured that I'm not actually starving, and decides to relinquish a bit of weight.

Alas, weight loss isn't smooth; it happens in a stair-step fashion with occasional weird blips.

NYMom222
on 11/4/19 5:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

If you are weighing yourself everyday you have to be OK with seeing fluctuations. Water, poop, ate late, weighed earlier.... there are many reasons why it fluctuates. It is normal.

If you are not ok with fluctuations then do not weigh every day.

What I did to keep myself focused the first couple of years was to record my weight weekly and monthly as well as at doctors appointment.

I had my surgery on the 23rd of the month on a Wednesday. So every Wednesday I wrote it down and every 23rd. When it seemed like nothing was happening this really helped to look at.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Foamhead
on 11/4/19 8:13 am

I'm not that worried about it other than thinking it's a tad odd. Knowing it's normal is a minor relief however.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/4/19 2:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Try plugging your numbers into something like Trendweight, which looks at the "big picture" of your weight patterns. Instead of getting hung up on individual days, it'll show the overall decline and that can be really motivating!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/19 10:46 am, edited 11/5/19 9:51 pm

1 lb can be hydration, extra stuff in your colon (constipation) or water retention after having a particularly salty meal during a day.

I'm over 11 years post op. I try to weight daily, if nothing else to record trends and my weight fluctuation during a week. I try to weigh myself in the mornings, at roughly the same time, after the same morning ritual. (after morning BM, after shower, not much on).

I am at goal - below goal for a quite some time. On an averaged week my morning weight can fluctuate within 5-6 lbs. Just because. In any 2 days - mornings my weight an easily fluctuate withing at least 3 lbs. And in any 24 hours - my weight can also fluctuate. I.e. my morning weight is different than my evening weight. If I weigh myself before bed, then first thing am -my weight can be off by 2 lbs. Most of us we lose water as we sleep. even if we get re-hydrated in a middle of the night (I always have water by my bed to take a few sips if I get up in a middle of the night).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 170 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
Recent Topics