What's on your Sunday Menu, RNYers?

White Dove
on 11/24/19 6:39 am - Warren, OH

Dr. Atkins believed that you can get low-carb burnout and his cure was to eat high-carb for a while. The trick is that you replace the protein shakes, cheeses, bacon, steak, eggs, butter, and sausage with fruits and vegetables. But you can't mix both plans together and you can't add in sugar and starch.

His low-carb phase would be things like apples, cauliflower, pears, pears, plums, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, cantaloupe, pineapple, berries, grapes, plums, strawberries, spinach, brussels spouts, carrots, green beans, honeydew, peppers, tomatoes, oranges, bananas, and grapefruit.

As with any Atkins plan, you do not count calories. You can eat unlimited quantities. But you do not mix high protein with the high carb phase. You do one or the other. You never add in rice, corn, peas, bread, cereal, pasties, or any flour or sugar.

I have done his high carb diet a few times. After a few days, I mostly lost my excitement about the fruit and ate small portions. I lost about 10-15 pounds in a month, then went back to low-carb, high protein and did not gain back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 11/24/19 7:00 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin'!

MIL didn't want to go out yesterday, so she told us she'd be up for it today. My mother is doing a craft show today in a town about 10 miles from here, so maybe we'll take MIL over there and have lunch or coffee while we're at it. I'm also planning to go to a yoga class this evening. Other than that...?? It's sunny out and will supposedly be in the mid-40s, so I definitely want to be out of the house for awhile!!!

QOTD: Hmmm. I always have whatever breakfast I say I'm going to have, and I almost always have a protein shake as my mid-morning snack (as planned...). For the rest of the meals, I'd say I substitute something else about half the time, but until the last few months, whatever I swapped in was at least on my plan and in my calorie range. I haven't been that vigilant lately, which is probably why I've gained seven pounds (or as of this morning, six). I started really sticking to it again last weekend and have lost 3.8 lbs since then (I was up 10 last weekend from my norm, but the first three were most likely water, since they came off within a couple of days. So probably seven lbs in true weight). As if I didn't know this before, I have to stick to my plan for the rest of my life or I'll regain. Although that doesn't mean I won't continue to swap out a chicken breast for a pork chop, for example - as long as it's an item that's on my plan and won't push me above my maintenance calorie range. So anyway, I probably swap things out 50% of the time? But to completely go off - hmmmm....the last few months, too often!!! NO MORE!!

accountability was great again yesterday. Down another half pound this morning!

4+ years out:

B: protein pancakes with plain Greek yogurt and homemade blueberry compote, coffee with half & half

MS: protein shake

L: if we're here, either dal or vegetarian chili. If we're out, something safe!!

AS: if we're here, L&F yogurt with raspberries and/or raw veggies with ranch Greek yogurt dip. I'll take a Slimfast Keto Fat Bomb with me in case we're out then (I do need something in the afternoon or I'll overdo it at dinner)

D: Beyond Sausage in a Flat Out Fold It wrap with sauerkraut

ex: yoga

have a great Sunday, everyone!

White Dove
on 11/24/19 8:31 am - Warren, OH

I see a lot of people posting that they haver protein pancakes. Are these frozen or made from scratch. If frozen or a mix, what is the brand name?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 11/24/19 8:48 am, edited 11/24/19 12:48 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I make mine from scratch, but a lot of people use a mix.

I experimented with it for awhile to play around with the texture, etc, and this is what I eventually came up with. This is really a maintenance recipe rather than a weight loss recipe (I know you're in maintenance, but some people reading this probably aren't). I've seen recipes that just use protein powder for the flour, but the texture is too far "off" when you do that, IMHO, so I use oatmeal, too. So again, more of a maintenance recipe). This makes a truckload of pancakes (50-ish, usually), but they keep for awhile in the fridge. Of course they're the best when they're right out of the pan, though!

3 C old-fashioned oats

3 scoops of protein powder

1 T baking powder

1 C cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt

2 eggs

a pinch of salt

a little cinnamon and/or ground ginger and/or artificial sweetener (all of these are optional)

enough unsweetened almond or cashew milk to get it to pancake batter consistency

(sometimes I'll throw a dying banana in here, too, if I have one lying around. Given that this makes around 50 pancakes, it doesn't add much to the calorie or carb count)

stats will vary slightly depending on how many pancakes you end up with (I make 'em pretty small), but the batch I made the other day made 54 of them. So stats on one pancake are:

35 kcal, 5 carbs, 1 fat, 3 protein, 1 fiber

I usually have three or four of them, topped with a half cup of plain Greek yogurt and a homemade berry sauce (I cook the berries down with SF Torani syrup). Or in lieu of berries, I'll sometimes cut up a little fresh fruit (or not...) and use SF maple syrup instead (I don't need the syrup if I use one my berry sauces).

catwoman7
on 11/24/19 9:01 am
RNY on 06/03/15

btw - I whirl the oats around in the blender to make them into oat flour before throwing in the rest of the ingredients...

Maddymoe2
on 11/24/19 5:00 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

White Dove,

I use 1 scoop Quest baking mix, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, dash of cinnamon. I add enough water to get the right consistency. I use Walden farms syrup. Makes 1 pancake, 160 calories, 30 protein, 1 carb. They are very satisfying.

catwoman7
on 11/25/19 6:44 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've always been curious about Quest baking mix - I see it all the time but have never tried it. I should pick some up and play around with it...

Maddymoe2
on 11/25/19 7:02 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I really like it. I found it at Grocery Outlet for $19.99, it's $40 on Amazon.

catwoman7
on 11/25/19 7:06 am
RNY on 06/03/15

good tip - I"ll check Grocery Outlet out! Thanks!

karenp8
on 11/24/19 7:05 am - Brighton, IL

Good morning menu friends!Miss Lily and I have our 3.5 miles in and will do another mile later too. Accountability was spot on food and stepwise yesterday and weight is 121.2. QOTD about 80 percent of the time I stick to my menu. Early out it was 100 percent. Yes I am a rule follower! Here's the food plan for the day B 2/3c steel cut oats with protein and peanut butter L 4 oz grilled chicken with no sugar BBQ sauce D 4 oz burger patty with cheese and no bun. Probably no snack needed. Have to get off here and get busy. Laundry and housecleaning to do today. Have a great day full of healthy choices everyone!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views