What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers?

catwoman7
on 12/9/19 6:46 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' All!

I had a good weekend - craft fair, thrift shopping (saw a cat at one that my MIL is now thinking of adopting), a bluegrass concert at a tavern, lots of exercise. Picked up a couple of Christmas gifts. Birthday party for DH. I can't remember what else - but it was a busy weekend.

I did super well on my low(er) carb, low calorie eating plan yesterday - and I did an hour of Jazzercise and 75 minutes of yoga to boot. And....I'm up 0.8 lbs this morning. Cripes! I'm sure it's sodium/water, though. I had cheese, sausage, and cottage cheese yesterday - all high in sodium. So....I'll focus on low sodium foods, too, today - and push fluids - and exercise. Hopefully I'll feel a lot better by this time tomorrow!

QOTD: I never had the runny nose issue. I DO occasionally get hiccups if I overeat, though.

4.5 years out:

B: Greek yogurt with raspberries, coffee with half & half

MS: protein shake

L: turkey patty or turkey meatballs

AS: raw veggies with ranch Greek yogurt dip and/or L&F yogurt

D: salad with diced turkey and light dressing. Or I might make an Indian curry (a homemade-type one - just sauteed vegetables (with spices) and some diced paneer cheese. No sauces, no rice)

ex: if the roads are OK, I'll go to Aqua Zumba this evening.

have a great day, everyone!

White Dove
on 12/9/19 8:07 am - Warren, OH

The runny nose, sneezing, hiccups happen if your surgeon severed your vagus nerve during weight loss surgery. My surgeon told me he cuts the vagus nerve because that takes away hunger sensations. In my case, I rarely get hungry, but have to be very careful not to eat too fast or I will get a runny nose and sneezing. That also happens with one extra bite.

It is a personal preference of the surgeon whether to leave the vagus nerve intact or to sever it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Christina135
on 12/9/19 9:03 am

Holy crap. I never knew that. Considering the vagus nerve does quite a bit more than relay hunger sensations, I am incredibly grateful my surgeon did NOT sever mine.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

White Dove
on 12/9/19 12:15 pm - Warren, OH

I had surgery back in 2007 and at that time they were considering just severing the vagus nerve in patients that were not overweight enough to qualify for surgery. I think that has changed considerably now, but I imagine some surgeons still do it.

Queen JB
on 12/9/19 10:33 am
RNY on 07/20/15

My surgeon said my vagus nerve was damaged with the lapband. I'd believe it...everything about that stupid band made my life worse.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

White Dove
on 12/9/19 12:15 pm - Warren, OH

I believe that too. I wanted a lapband, and am glad my surgeon talked me into the RNY instead.

stacyrg
on 12/9/19 9:27 am, edited 12/9/19 1:27 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Morning all. Super late post for me, but I overslept and then hit horrible, for absolutely no reason, traffic. I was almost 45 minutes later than I normally am for work. I had a great weekend! Saturday was the firm's holiday party and it was amazing. I broke my no solid food diet and ate. During ****tail hour the food was amazingly protein forward: shrimp ****tail, seared scallops, beef tartare, lambchops, etc. I went with one shrimp and two of the scallop appetizers which equaled .5 scallop (they took large scallops and cut them in quarters so each was a bite size). Dinner was mushroom soup, salad with roasted pear and artichoke, and then the main. I was pretty stuffed to the gills by the time the main came around and I really wasn't eating. The server asked if there was something wrong with the fish or if I just didn't like it and offered to get me something else. I told him to leave it and I would work on it. I got up, took a walk and felt able to eat a few bites. I ate about 1/3 of the piece of fish and none of the veggies. All in all a really nice night. Yesterday we did the house tours in Pasadena (I thought it was San Marino. My bad) While the houses are lovely and I now have serious kitchen envy we were sad that they weren't decorated more for the holidays. Various florists had displays in the house but nothing that screamed "christmas" to us.

Edited to add QOTD:

I didn't until 6 weeks ago. Now I'm back to having the nose run cue. I get super stuffy and have to have kleenex with me at all times. My restriction is back to crazy tight, so I'm hoping that it will actually elp my hypoglycemia (It hasn't so far and I have some acid issues, but my fingers remain firmly crossed.)

My plan:

B: blended oats

L: I either have blended tuna or lentil soup

D: ???

S: Homemade latte, and a yogurt before the gym

I have an endoscopy tomorrow, so I'm drinking as much as I possibly can and I'm going to shove as much food in my body as possible in case tomorrow he says Im on no food.

Jannie7
on 12/9/19 12:29 pm
VSG on 06/17/19

Sounds like the food was amazing!

Good luck with your endoscopy!

Emiepie
on 12/9/19 6:03 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I hope the procedure goes well.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Erin T.
on 12/9/19 10:15 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Afternoon! Saturday Jon and I ran some errands, went to a Christmas Market, and then came home and super cleaned the house. Aurora had a fever and now has an epic cold so our home time was low-key. Yesterday, she was feeling better so we all went decor shopping for our house. We've been in it almost 6 months and it's time for stuff on the walls! We got a canvas for the living room and a basket for shoes beside the door and then came home hung some I had bought a couple weekends ago.

QOTD: Yes, I still get the hiccups at nearly 3 years post-op. It happens less frequently probably because my capacity is larger now I don't hit that "oops, one more bite would be bad" thing very often. I also can not drink while eating in any capacity. If I take a single bite of food with any density what-so-ever it hurts like hell immediately.

My Food:

• Coffee w/ Cream x2 and a Latte
  • Low-Carb Ricotta Pancakes w/ SF Syrup
  • Enchilada Bowl (Aldi find it's delicious and has 22g of protein)
  • Smoked Turkey & Green Beans
  • Snacks: I haven't been overly hungry today so no snacking so far. I need to get to the store, but I have string cheese and that's about it.

I ran for the first time in 12 days today. That's the longest I've gone without running in nearly a year. I think after my half I just needed some down time but I'm committing to get back to at least 3-4 days per week now because I'm terrified of losing all the momentum that I've gained!

Also, cool food note: I have been eating a homemade breakfast sandwich for breakfast everyday for months. An English Muffin, breakfast meat, American cheese. I was finding super, duper cravings for chocolate/sugar within an hour of breakfast and feeling like I was always warding off the "sugar monster". Today, I had those ricotta pancakes and I've not felt any need at all for candy. I'm thinking the salt in the breakfast meat was giving me that same effect you get when eating fast food? Did that happen to anyone else? Back in the day I used to eat McDonald's and chase it with a Snickers because I'd be craving sugar so bad.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?