Is there a link in reduced immune system and WLS? Because I am sick AGAIN :(

finding__sara
on 12/26/19 8:13 am

Hey guys! I'm seeing conflicting things online so I just wanted to ask if anyone else is having the same experience.

I had RNY in August of this year. I have gotten sick, including the flu, at least 4 times since then. I have a child in daycare so I am constantly catching her colds in instances where I did not have that issue before. It feels like the colds/flu linger much longer and if someone coughs in the same room as I am, I am guaranteed to catch it.

I have tried additional vitamin c as well and it doesn't really seem to be helping.

Anyone else realized this? Orrrrrrr is this just me?

Thanks!

Sara

RNY Gastric Bypass 8/15/19

stacyrg
on 12/26/19 8:46 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I've actually noticed the opposite. I get sick far less than I used to. Sorry I'm no help.

White Dove
on 12/26/19 9:28 am, edited 12/26/19 1:30 am - Warren, OH

That seems very unusual. Did you get your flu shot this year? If you did and still get the flu, talk to your doctor about a booster flu shot this season. It will make your immune system stronger.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/19 10:49 am

I get sick less often now than I did pre-RNY. I think my immune system has gotten stronger since I have been taking vitamins and walking regularly.

Make sure you take all your vitamins and are getting enough sleep.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Partlypollyanna
on 12/26/19 3:38 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Put me on the sick less often wagon; I travel extensively for work and catch many fewer colds now than I did before. Are you taking all your vitamins? Between getting rid of the comorbidities, being more active and staying up on my vitamins/supplements, I think my immune system is super charged (I'm not quite two years out).

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

SkinnyScientist
on 12/27/19 12:54 am

I think it would depend where you are after surgery and weightloss. After surgery and in the weightloss phase your body is under tremendous stress. You are either healing or catabolizing fat (which takes a lot of work on the liver and is a different metabolic pathway than the "easy" calories from sucrose and glucose (aka sugars).

It is also partly related to a kid in daycare (a known petridish of bacteria and viruses ;) )

This is does not mean you should do things to slow down your weight loss. This means you get plenty of rest all the time, eat with nutrition in mind (i.e. vitamins and minerals as well as protein), sanitize handles and other touched objects often (like every other day), if you use public transportation where gloves (latex exam gloves, super thick double layered fabric gloves (launder often-like twice a week), wear a mask when going out (like they do in Japan), and add bleach to your dishwasher -dishwash function (take that viruses!!!) and use the the heated dry sanitization too. Sanitize your laundry too (they have additives, I have a friend with 2 kids in daycare and she swears by it). Wash your hands almost to the point of OCD (and get a good moisturizer, I like vanicream which is crisco like in texture).

Good luck. I do a lot of the suggested and I rarely get sick. Maybe like every other year, I use my sick leave for "mental health" and mental health (which may be invaluable. The problems you have may likely still be there after surgery and may even get worse as social/familial/unhealthy relationships change and may undergo further strain. The dysfunction I "settled for" at 300 lbs because I felt worthless and value-less is not something I tolerate now at 139 lbs. I became healthier physically and mentally and came to realize I have value just by being born, a productive member of society, an active citizen, an encouragement to others, and being a child of God.

I wish you well. Be disciplined in your efforts!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 12/27/19 12:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hey stranger!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/27/19 1:04 pm

Hi! Just stopping by. End of quarter deadlines have me a bit stressed and down, so I come hear and lurk and see what you all have been up to!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

hollykim
on 12/28/19 7:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM Pacific Time, finding__sara wrote:

Hey guys! I'm seeing conflicting things online so I just wanted to ask if anyone else is having the same experience.

I had RNY in August of this year. I have gotten sick, including the flu, at least 4 times since then. I have a child in daycare so I am constantly catching her colds in instances where I did not have that issue before. It feels like the colds/flu linger much longer and if someone coughs in the same room as I am, I am guaranteed to catch it.

I have tried additional vitamin c as well and it doesn't really seem to be helping.

Anyone else realized this? Orrrrrrr is this just me?

Thanks!

no, I have also been more healthy than ever.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 370 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404