on 1/21/20 6:02 am - Burleson, TX

YES !!!!

What Kim said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

sweetpotato1959
on 1/29/20 1:20 pm

Dee, you have highlighted another important point... needs to be addressed.

Your surgical record, all aspects, and plan going forward should be transmitted to family physician and the "Patient" should have a hard copy for JIC you require care and the need for specifics of your surgery have to be addressed quickly. If the surgeons or family clinic is closed ..some will not know how to treat properly unless the patient is extremely verbal and able to pass info on to medical personnel.

Case in point, My surgeon retired more than 18 years ago. You need these records for all future health care providers.

I asked my surgeon. How do i explain the procedure/effects to someone who has no ability to contact ..others who have my records. His answer was..."tell them the surgical procedure you have makes you absorb like you have crone's" . I still have that answer..It still works.

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/21/20 3:28 pm - plymouth, MN

What Kim said and others said with one major exception and it still should come from a physician and cleared by a bariatric surgeon.

The only time that it may be okay to take NSAIDs in a wls patient is when there's a risk of heart attack or stroke, to quote Andrea U from wlsvitagarten, a well respected wls peer when it comes to vitamins and vitamin deficiency "cardiac issues trump gut" meaning if someone's is clearly at risk for possibly having a heart attack or stroke, it's not easy but easier to try and control damage from a gi bleed than it is from a heart attack or stroke.

See if there are other therapies (meds and other treatments) for short term or long term pain management if that's now an issue for you....

Having no complications at 12 years post op is great, the best way to stay that way is to not take NSAIDs ever and to make sure that you are still taking vitamins and are having labs to make sure you are absorbing them, to have the best chance of remaining complication free going forward.

wishing you continued success, good health and much happiness...

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/21/20 3:31 pm - plymouth, MN

I could've been clearer, when I meant NSAIDs, I was talking about when daily baby aspirin is prescribed for those at risk for heart attack and stroke, which rarely happens in cases for long term post ops who have maintained all or a significant amount of their excess weight and something happens where that becomes an issue.

But again, that decision should be made by a physician and cleared if at all possible with a bariatric surgeon, if prescribing physician doesn't have much experience with wls post operatives.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/29/20 1:10 pm

Lisa k, You would be surprised how many are prescribed ASA/ even coumadin.... even when they are not supposed to take them. It is NOT rare.

Mom and i both had similar gastric surgeries , performed by same surgeon. good effectiv tool utilized. both had good weight loss and maintenance. My mom was prescribed both, she had atrial fib. so yes.like you said heart trumped for Doctors perspective...

and i was put on ASA for a short time., after a TIA, when started urinating blood, on the 8th day, I stopped it. I did try to reduce dose to baby aspirin, could only tolerate 1 -81 mg every 4 days.... , Dr or no DR. I did not tolerate.. It was my decision. My body my life. Very important for everyone to weigh own risks and have FULL information to be amble to make those decisions.

WLS in 1990's ..My heart rate runs low...55,resting. blood pressure low normal range., little fat intake- and that is healthy fat olive, coconut and grapeseed oils mostly. Blood sugars are in low range...despite being prediabetic since about 1980.

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/30/20 12:26 pm - plymouth, MN

Yeah... that happened to my Dad, who had to have somewhat emergent spinal surgery for stenosis, 3 months ago and ended up being throwing PEs and while they were afraid to both put him on coumadin and take him off, as he had major spinal incisions he had another hospitalization last week for from bleeding from coumadin, he had originally open rny in 81, I was in the 6th grade and he had a revision, 10 months after my rny in 10/2002, my sister had rny the day after his revision and all 3 of us had drastic long term outcomes.

As up until 2 months ago, my Dad at 73, and still being SMO is in better health than I am.

My weight bounces a lot, I haven't been thin (wasn't thin ever before rny in 2001 but had a borderline bmi and no comorbidities from obesity when I had my rny 18 years ago) and I had enough bleeding ulcers to require a reversal of my rny 9 years ago, well primarily due to the ulcers and because I had severe hypotension too, severe nutritional deficiencies and reactive hypoglycemic and my sister can eat whatever she wants, has kept off most of her weight, just by picking up intense exercise.

When I had rny, it was lap and that was fairly new, when my Dad was revised, it was an open revision on top of a rny originally open so he got what I called "re-filleted", my reversal scar is 3 inches and barely noticeable.

I don't think newer generations realize how little options we had and we weren't as well prepared, although I had a great surgeon, he did my dad's revision and my sister's rny , we had same dna, same surgeon, I probably was most compliant and we had drastically different long term outcomes.

And that means we have to advocate what we think is best for us, as well as educate physicians where wls is more prevalent on what on it's best interest.

Some physicians though make it hard to do that, as I still have issues with throwing up, getting gastroparesis from reversal, but am heavy again and I get looked at by doctors like a unicorn on crack for being heavy not only after a gastric bypass long term, but a reversal.. And how cyclical this journey can be for some of us life long...

wishing you the best... lisa

sweetpotato1959
on 1/29/20 12:55 pm

Yes, for rest of life is recommended. after surgery there is not enough material to repair ulcers/remove...and IF they perforate, can be deadly.

That said i used them for about 3 weeks for severe pain. MY result was severe gastritis with twisted gut =6 days in hospital to low intermittent suction. nothing to play with.

I have a protocol prescribed several years ago- should it become vital i take a dose or two a week- severe injury that requires- for short term only... i use a gastric protective. with the dose. . Prevacid 30 mg works well for me and i keep the 15 mg ones in OTC on hand. I probably average 3 doses over 2 months

. I have rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and have recently torn a ligament...had plantar fascitis in recent past... all are things which can cause severe pain... I also use willow bark capsules( natural asprin) and space those out as well. The chances of gastric complications are much less with those.and they do not bother me...taken as one dose of 2 capsules per week.

Many foods cause me to go into gastritis , Avoiding injury and avoiding "distressing foods" are my best protection.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views