Checking in 7 years post RNY FINALLY almost to goal

alaskasusan
on 2/5/20 7:12 pm, edited 2/6/20 8:42 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Hard to believe. 7 years on Feb. 7. And had a revision due to ruptured ulcers in 2018, so glad I'm still here. I'd regained at 6 years post-RNY I was up 50#. But, well, to be honest the tool still works if I do what I'm supposed to do. I got all the extra weight back off AND lost an additional 10 #...closer to my goal and I think this is going to be the year it happens. I never post pics but I guess I'll do one now just because it feels so completely amazing to finally look like a normal person. I'm 64 years old, 5'5". 140# (highest was 273). I deadlift 185, bench 65, run. Pic was taken a few days ago in Florida but I'm back home in Alaska now. Life's good

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/6/20 6:26 am

Congratulations. You look great.

Word of caution: be careful not to lose too much. At our age we need some fat. Not a lot, but enough to carry us through tough days like food poisoning.

You already look like someone with a very low body fat%. I would suggest you find place near you that do body DEXA scan to determine your total body fat %.

Al lost a year ago I lost down to 136 lbs, at 5' 3.5" you would think I still could lose more without going into underweight area. But I could feel and see my bones and mu muscles right under my skin, all blood veins clearly visible. DEXA scan confirmed that my body fat got down to 9% total body weight. As a woman I should be above 15% for a healthy lean body. Normal for women is 24-30%. I know my healthy weight, with app 20-21% body fat is around 150lbs. I got used my thin me, so it's hard for me to deal with 150lbs. But now I try to make sure my weight doesn't drop below 140. It is hard to make myself eat more food, but I know I need that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/7/20 5:55 am - Burleson, TX

HALA - as always. you bring up some very interesting points. My PA brought up the subject of a DEXA scan, a few months ago. I am procrastinating, of course, because that's how I roll...

I usually look bigger, than I am, because of my pear shape/loose skin/etc, but, the hot minute, when I weighed 10 pounds LESS, than I do now, even I thought I looked like a corpse

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/20 6:38 am

At my lowest weight, I looked great in clothes. Fair size woman. I do have large frame, plus muscles, so I don't look pitiful even with a low body fat %.

When I had my initial DEXA scan when I was 151 lbs, the guy who runs the DEXA was really surprised when it showed I had 20-21% body fat. In his role as an academic professor of physical science, he assured me that I would have to really work hard to get lower body fat %. I just laughed and told him that if I just stop eating as much, I would drop that. 2.5 years later, I went back, and took my guy with me, to see where he needs to trim. I was 135lbs at that time. I was too thin, but it didn't show in my clothes. When my DEXA was done, it showed 9% total body fat. The professor decided to weigh me again, and run the test one more time. Yeap. Same results. He told me he never seen anyone like that. I just laughed and told him, many post op WLS people who are at goal or below would have that numbers. I bet you would be close...

I know that theoretically, women need more basic fat. 14 or 15%. It's call "essential body fat". Studies show that for women who drop to below 16% body fat, they stop menstruating. That is observed with serious athletes, body builders, or even women in arm forces.

That also explains why I went from normal period to instant menopause when my GB failed and I dropped my last 15 lbs close to 8 months out. I am sure my body fat % dropped below 15%. And that also explains why I had to start bioidentical hormones, because my body stopped making them. Fat call in woman abdomen are design to make estrogen. But if you don't have fat there - you dont make any. Or progesterone or testosterone. In my situation, I have to supplement all of them, and cortisone on top of everything else.

But the more I read and research about that, I see that this may apply to younger women. Older women, the thin type, would have lower body fat %.

I try to keep my weight above 140. Ideally around 145. I should be trying to keep it around 150, but I got so used me being thinner, than when I got to 150, I felt fat. Ugh.

My worry is that in case of a serious illness, even things like really bad flu, or pneumonia, or even bad food poisoning, I have no reserves. Abd that is scary.

That's probably why older people with weaker immune system can live longer when they are slightly overweight, in 25-26 range BMI, as compared with more skinny people.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JB1114
on 2/6/20 4:44 pm - Grain Valley, MO

You look fantastic and way younger than your age.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?