Vegan post op

aprueitt
on 2/19/20 10:06 am

I had RNY in 2008 and went from 307 to 150. I have regained about 25 pounds and know what I need to do to get back to my goal. I have been vegetarian most of my adult life. I recently learned I have an egg allergy and not tolerating dairy well. Does anyone follow a vegan diet post op? For the past 12 years the majority of my protein has come from protein shakes, eggs, and dairy...

I know it's very possible, but it's been a big adjustment.

TheWombat
on 2/19/20 1:59 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Hi fellow vegan! I responded to your other post on the VSG forum: https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6043464/Vegan/

Christina135
on 2/19/20 2:27 pm

Hi there! I eat a completely plant based diet, 11 years out from RNY. No dairy, no animal products.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/20 5:19 am

I would be careful if I were you.

Sure, you can make sure you get enough nutrients in a vegan diet. In today's world there are so many vegan proteins sources that it is possible.

But I would be very cautious. If you developed allergies to dairy and eggs you may develop new allergies to foods you would eat often.

I love meat and eggs and dairy... specially the last one...I could live on just dairy post op RNY. I overdid and after a few years I developed allergies to dairy, and to soym and to a few more things.

If you decide to go that route, make sure you rotate what you eat. Dont ear the same foods over and over.

Plus in a few years, if you decide to get retested to see if you still have allergies to those - you may test negative if you were avoiding them completely in your diet. You may know that but I didn't. After 3-4 years of avoiding anything with foods I was allergic to, I git retested and the results showed no reaction. But when I reintroduced the dairy to my diet, within a few days I had full allergies symptoms. I did learn that my allergies to whey are much more severe than to casein. Whey proteins, things with milk, yogurt, yound cheese, would cause allergic symptoms within a few hours, while aged cheese I could have some once in a while without getting severe reaction.

I know I am very sensitive to carbs. Most carbs. Plus I have IBS-C and carbs can cause severe reaction. Cramps and gas. Horrible gas. Best for me is to avoid too many carbs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 492 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics