What's on your (PHOTO FRIDAY) Menu, RNYers?

Teenie
on 2/21/20 6:54 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I gave up My Pens tickets back in 1987 once Mario Started Playing it got way to expensive to keep them. They were an easy sell but who in there right mind would have missed a game then. It was a magical time for the whole city.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Erin T.
on 2/21/20 3:38 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Morning! I have my MRI of my hip this afternoon, I hope. We're on snow day #2 here in Central NC (see picture for comedic value). I'm hoping they don't cancel my MRI that I've been waiting over a month for! I'm also terrified of the procedure though. They're going to inject contrast into the hip joint and I'm scared.

QOTD: The only one I could even think of ever having watched was the original Miracle on 34th Street. I'm a terrible movie watcher by nature though.

My Food:

• Coffee w/ Cream x2
  • English Muffin, Egg, Cheese, Bacon
  • Nothing for lunch, I have to fast for at least 2 hours pre-MRI
  • Scalloped potatoes w/ Ham and a veggie

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Queen JB
on 2/21/20 3:44 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Ha! Coming from upstate NY this must be the funniest thing. I went to school in upstate NY and I don't think there was a day between October to May that didn't have this amount of snow at the barest minimum.

I've always wondered--do they really not have the infrastructure to sand and keep the roads safe because snow is so rare, or are people just scared to drive?

Good luck with your appointment! Fingers crossed.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Erin T.
on 2/21/20 3:50 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Before we got our first storm here (December 2018 we got about 8" of snow) I was super ****y about their lack of snow driving. But, then I saw what it's like here with snow. They have trucks to brine for bigger storms and they will do the main roads. However, every storm starts as rain and it washes it all away before the snow even forms. So then the snow piles up on roads and no one plows it and then it thaws and people drive through it and then it refreezes overnight. It was a total nightmare to navigate anywhere for 4 straight days last year! Our parking lot was literally a broken ankle waiting to happen. Frozen ruts of slush/ice.

Today the biggest hazard seems to be that our streets are glare ice due to the little bit that stuck to the road and temps being in the upper 20's. That picture was from last night. We got a small amount more last night, but the roads are glassy looking.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/20 4:32 am

I moved to SC from Montreal Canada.

My first 1-2 years I was "meh, this is what? ". Tthen I got more experience driving on the stuff.....now I almost always refuse to leave the house if we have icy conditions. I wait 1-2 hours, or a day. Nope, not risking my life and my sanity for that.

I lived in Canada, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for 5 years, then in Montreal for a year. And I was driving there, sliding and all, but others were aware of what is going on, so the risk was rather small, and if I got stuck in a snow, people would stop, pushed me out of it and the fun would continue...here - if I stopped to let another driver pass narrow slippery section, others were trying to get around me . I know you are now know what I am talking about. Or I would have someone following me so closely that there was no way they could stop if I did, or if I even slowed down. The conditions where roads are freezing is very dangerous, but the drivers here are much much worse.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erin T.
on 2/21/20 4:37 am
VSG on 01/17/17

In NY they plow it promptly and you get get used to driving on snow pack. Even if they don't plow it's so far below freezing that it doesn't instantly turn to slush and refreeze. You just pick your line in the snow and don't use too much brake or gas. I drove a Subaru and regularly would have to drive around someone stuck on a hill on my way home from work.

The university I worked for there hadn't had a snow day since 1998 and that was because of a devastating ice storm that left the entire county without power for weeks. You just figured it out!

However, it's notable that even in NY the one thing we were scared of was ice and that's what everything here turns to. So I guess it's not surprising they recommend you avoid it entirely.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/20 5:24 am

We had 2-3 major snow - long term freeze and refreeze times since I moved to SC.

One year, we had a blizzard coming. Major weatherstorm that paralyzed all traffics all the way to Washington DC, in 2004 or 2005. I was still married and my ex had forbidden me to drive on Saturday (when roads were still clear) to get to my meetings I had in DC the following week. To avoid a major fight, I complied, and got on a road on Sunday morning. I was on a road, in blizzard conditions for 15-16 hours. It was a miracle I made it without accident. I saw so many accidents literally happened in front of me on the roads from SC to Washington DC. Normally the trip should take me no more than 8 hours. During that drive, I realized that my ex was more concerned about his paranoia about me cheating on him than about my safety. He was paranoid all our marriage that I was doing that. Or that I would do that. I traveled for business and every trip we had major fights about me traveling.

I risked my life and my health to try to appease him. That was the trip that I made a decision to get a divorce. We were divorced 1.5 years later. BTW- his next wife was like he was to me, karma is a ***** He had enough of a character to apologize to me when he was 2-3 years into his marriage to her.

The guy I'm with now, is more concerned about my safety and my well being than about his safety. A few times he offered to come pick me up at work, or for me to stay at work overnight when I had to work very late on a project.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/20 4:23 am

I came to SC from Canada. From Montreal.

I am scared ****less about driving my 4 wheel drive SUV on the roads here when we get snow/cold temperatures. We get blac**** Nothing helps when you hit it. You slide. All 9ver. Plus with a very narrow streets/roads, no light, other drivers *****ally dont know how to drive when it is cold, and a lot of them have bold tires, we are lucky if we dont get into a car accident every winter.

Like Erin, first couple of years when I got here from Montreal, I was in a "this is nothing....", ..mode. Then I got a few slides all over the roads, and saw a few crazy drivers, and a few drivers with terror in their eyes as they were sliding in their cars past me...and I'm now refusing to leave the house if the roads are icy. They are not build properly, so snow- rain stays on them then freeze, and by the time you drive on them, the icy top is additionally covered with a light layer of water and nothing can get a grip on that.

catwoman7
on 2/21/20 4:31 am, edited 2/20/20 8:35 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I remember those "snowstorms" from living in Raleigh years ago. The whole city would shut down if we got half an inch of snow. Coming from northern Ohio (which gets a TON of snow because of Lake Erie - even way more snow than we get in Wisconsin), we were blown away by that!

Edited to add that yes, I agree with the above posters. Ice storms are more common there, and they're treacherous. And the roads do often ice up before the snow hits.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/21/20 5:37 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I always have to remind myself that being used to the weather has an impact on how challenging it is...I've driven through blizzards, hailstorms and once way to close to a small tornado, but when I moved to miami, I was pulling over in the afternoon rainstorms...which I assumed were torrential downpours of some epic nature and everyone else thought were "just what happens in the afternoon".

Hope they don't cancel your procedure and it's both painless and helpful!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 336 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?