Liquid Diet Headaches

kay_prnz18
on 2/27/20 11:10 am
RNY on 03/05/20

Hey all, I'm on day 4 of my 10 day pre-op diet. I'm having really bad headaches that aren't responsive to Tylenol and fatigue. Yesterday I came home and went to bed at 5:30, woke up at 9, went back to sleep at 10 until the morning. I am guessing it is some form of "keto flu" or carb withdrawal. I'm allowed to have caffeine so I don't think it is that. Today is the first day that I haven't really been ravenously hungry so I am adjusting at least in that sense and sticking to the plan. Any suggestions on how to help the constant dull headache?

I got my pre-op clearance from my PCP and am pre-registered! One more wee****il RNY!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/27/20 12:54 pm

Dehydration, constipation and electrolyte imbalance can cause morning headache in me. Up to full blown migraine headache.

Adding essential electrolytes like sodium, magnesium, potassium is a must. When I was on a liquid diet, my sodium intake was way below what my body needs per day. Pickles juice (natural, fermented pickles like in Bubbies brand), well seasoned chicken or beef bone broth, and I take magnesium and potassium supplements, often as a drink, using Electro-mix by Alacer.

when I sto eating carbs, or eat very little, I may be drinking a lot of liquids, but without the minerals, my body can get easily dehydrated. Glycogen (body stored carbohydrates) and minerals are used by our bodies to keep water.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kay_prnz18
on 2/27/20 3:28 pm
RNY on 03/05/20

I know I'm getting enough liquids in, but you may be right with the electrolytes. I am eating broth and Bariatric Fusion chicken noodle so thought that would be enough. I'm allowed to have Gatorade Zero so I think I will add that into the mix. Thank you!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/28/20 6:52 am - Burleson, TX

I was going to suggest PowerAde Zero. Gatorade Zero has calories, that will add up quickly, if you drink as much, as I do...

I follow a fairly Keto lifestyle, and the PowerAde Zero has been my saving grace. As a chronic migraine sufferer, I was naturally terrified, of getting the "keto flu", but I never got it. I'm convinced it was largely due to PZ and Himylayan Sea Salt (I put it on everything!)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

kay_prnz18
on 2/28/20 7:29 am
RNY on 03/05/20

The bottles I have are only 10 calories per bottle so I don't think having one a day will hurt! At least right now. My Protein 2O waters have way more surprisingly!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 2/28/20 8:00 am - Burleson, TX

I was drinking the BIG bottles - the ones with 4 serving, in them - and had one with me, at all times...it would have added up

You do you, and best wishes, with your surgery! Keep us updated

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

kay_prnz18
on 3/2/20 11:11 am
RNY on 03/05/20

The Gatorade has made a big difference! No more headaches! Although my Bariatric Fusion shakes are giving me diarrhea Can't win them all I suppose! T-3 days!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 374 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 172 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?