Bariatric Vitamins :-)

Cris1976
on 2/28/20 9:04 pm, edited 2/28/20 9:11 pm

colleagues,

I'm on my way to import like vitamins from the United States to Brazil. For me it is a high investment because 1 dollar costs more than 4 reais.

From the indications, I think about two possibilities and I have two doubts:

1) the vitamin Celebrate with Iron in capsules in the dosage of three capsules a day have all the vitamins recomendations? Is any other supplementation necessary?

2) if you take 2 Centrum Silver a day, what other vitamins do you take together?

thanks! Sorry my english!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/29/20 9:54 am

Before I can decide what and how much vitamins and minerals I take per day, I had to check my personal levels to see what they look like what are they.

I take centrum silver equivalent 2 per day. Then I added small amount of calcium citrate. Smaller than recommended because not only my body shows good calcium levels, but my bone density is great and hasn't changed in last few years. I use a lot, and really a lot of magnesium. I read studies that indicate that not getting enough bioavailable magnesium, and other travel minerals essential for bone health can be more critical to bone health. Calcium can increase bones density, but magnesium and other trace minerals can help making the bones matrix much stronger.

I get lab work for typical blood work, plus my doc requests additional B1, B6, B12 plus A, plus, D and E. Total iron panel, including ferritin. Calcium levels and PTH (hormone responsible for taking calcium from bones). High Pth may indicate parathyroid gland issues, or may indicate that our blood calcium, essential to help keep out blood alkaline or acidic, is taken from bones. High Pth and high calcium, may indicate parathyroid issues, high PTh, low or normal calcium may indicate we are not getting/ absorbing enough calcium.

Vit D 3 - that is critical for us, and I want and keep my D levels at 50-70. (Normal D indicated normal levels 30-100). I also take vitamin K2. K2 helps putting calcium and other minerals we take as pills or in food, into our bones. Unfortunately high calcium levels can cause severe issues when our system doesn't have enough K2. K2 is different from K1. But it is still not recommended for people who need to take blood thinners. It needs to be checked with a doc who knows how vitamins can affect us. (Rather difficult to find IMO)

Most B's are water soluble and taking more than we need should not be a problem. Except B6. Taking too much B6 can cause severe issue, nerve damage. That's why I made sure my levels are tested at least once a year.

Chronically low levels of B1 and B12 - are very very dangerous, and can cause permanent nerves damage. Very serious nerves damage. Including the brain and nerves in our legs and hands. These 2 I MAKE sure i take enough to stay in high normal levels.

Research what vitamins are critical to our health. Some are more critical than others IMO.

Some vitamins are fat soluble, and since I know my body still has issues with absorbing fats, I try to take them in "dry form". Formulated to be water soluble. I take D3, A, and K2 in dry, water soluble form. Easily available in US)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cris1976
on 2/29/20 7:20 pm, edited 2/29/20 11:20 am

Thanks for your atention and experience.

I had take my labs last month.

My Zinc level is low and the B12 decreased since bypass. Now I have fever and Flu.

Do you take 2 and Silver Centrun and others suplements? Is this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/1/20 1:46 am

Yea. I take 2 multi vitamins per day, plus some others individual vitamins and minerals daily, or few times per week. How much and how often I take the individuals I determined based on My lab work. I.e. I take dry form, D3, 50,000 IU. I take it 1-2 times per week. That helps me to maintain my blood level of D3 in 50-70 range.

There was a time when my D3 was really low, that I took that huge dose daily for 2 weeks. Then retested. When my D3 reached app 60, I started getting just enough to maintain that level. Then i lowered the frequency of how often to take it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics