Can you get the sleeve surgery after you have had the Roux-en-Y?

dintybinty
on 2/29/20 10:09 am

I had the gastric bypass in jan 2013, I weighed 203 to start.....had diabetes, high blood pressure, A1C was off the charts. ...Ok so...I lost weight...my numbers went back to normal...which was my goal.....but things went south. I was losing weight too fast in the beginning...then I kinda stabilized around 120...then I started sliding again...now its 2018.....I was throwing up...not keeping anything down. getting skinnier by the wee****pt my appts/....always checked in with the dr. But..I got down to 103....Im 5'3 she told me to get in her office..next thing I was scheduled for it to be reversed. Had it reversed Oct 2018. That was an adventure. Here in the present...I weigh 165...my numbers are climbing back up...diabetes is coming back..blood pressure is back where it was...(high) etc. I had numerous endoscopys...couldnt find anything wrong. What I did learn from the gastric was...that I cant eat anything sweet....candy, soda, etc....I cant stomach it..even after the reversal...which is a good thing. I didnt have an overeating problem...It was what I ate. Sweets...carbs...etc....Still cant stomach any sweets..and the carbs...can stay or go. I still cant eat like I have a normal stomach....still small amounts..and its protein. What I do have..is beer..I drink beer. Not that Im saying thats a better option than soda or sweets...its just what I drink.

Im wondering if its possible to have the sleeve done....what does anyone think? Opinons?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/29/20 1:52 pm

As much as I like beer, I start gaining weight when I drink I it. We were in Europe, walking a lot, and beside beer, I didn't eat badly, yet I gained app 6-8 lbs within 2 weeks.

When we got back home I stopped the beer. I don't need it. I lost the weight rather fast. I may have a beer or 2 when we eat out, but I don't do that often. And it has to be the beer I really like.

Sleeve may not help you to maintain proper weight, and reverse high sugar issues. Stopping beer might. You may consider that before you choose another surgery.

You could still enjoy that once in a while, for special occasions.

When you drink beer and you have a hard time to give it up, it may mean you are an alcoholic, or you use beer to deal with some emotional or physical issues.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dintybinty
on 2/29/20 3:10 pm, edited 2/29/20 10:18 pm

Hmm, I get what you are saying about the beer...I enjoy drinking beer, and I dont have emotional issues as to why I drink beer. My dr and I discussed that..I drank beer and was still losing weight before the reversal...So...its something else...what?? I dont know. I drank beer thru out the whole process and...so it just confuses me.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/1/20 9:53 am, edited 3/1/20 1:56 am

Before the reversal when you couldn't eat a lot, and your absorption was compromised, the berr was just one factor in your ability to maintain your weight.

The reversal probably not only allows you to eat more, but the beer and bigger stomach probably can help you digest and absorb better.

This is just speculation- but with RNY - beer would wash food away from your pouch and inhibited digestion and absorption. Specially in the first couple of years post op.

I had RNY, and when I follow the recommendation of proper diet post op WLS, eating proteins, fat and veggies, I start losing weight. For me personally, adding beer, not only adds calories to my daily intake, but I think the loopalcohol in the beer helps my body digest and absorb the proteins. Plus, drinking beer, often with dinner, allows me to eat more, more volume of food. Beer or other alcohol allows me to physically eat more, plus be less choosy what I eat. I.e. one of a great meals we had when traveling was burger with "chips" (French fries) in one of many pubs in Ireland, or Scotland.

If you get a sleeve, you are not going to have any malabsorption, just restrictions. In the first couple of years that may be enough to lose weight, but overtime, you may start gaining.

Diabetes and alcohol, specially full of carbs beer, doesn't help BS.

On top of everything else - you had 2 major surgeries, RNY and reversal. Your insides are full of scar tissue, that is never as good as something that wasn't cut then sawn together. More abdominal surgery can cause more complications.

If I were you, I would stop drinking beer, eat proper diet, proteins, fats, non starchy veggies, and see if you can reverse raising blood sugars.

Diabetes is a very serious condition. I would do whatever I could to go back to normal blood sugars.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 3/1/20 8:32 am

I personally know someone who had VSG after RNY. She did not lose any weight.

I suggest you have consults with several surgeons before you have another WLS. Even after a reversal your insides are not back to normal. You really need someone who is an expert in revisions or you could have serious health problems afterwards. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dintybinty
on 3/1/20 9:31 am

I have been contemplating what options are best for me..and will address those with my surgeon in April. I cannot understand how some people gain weight after the RNY...I ate small amounts of food..and was content ...I did at one time eat a little too much...and it made me sick..and my stomach hurt...so that never happened again. Just wondering what went wrong....considering....I dont eat sweets..nor go over carb limit....a hamburger bun a day is plenty..if that..more than that..I am having issues..so I avoid bread, rice, potatos, pasta, etc. Is it just plain ole genetics? Something happened between mar 2018 and Oct 2018 that caused my drastic loss of weight..and me not being able to keep food down..I havent figured that out.

Granted that now I am able to keep food down..and the nutrients I wasnt getting before the reversal are now sticking with me...doesnt justify the weight gain..As H.A.L.B responded to me....she said its that I drink beer...Yes...I do....and yes beer has empty calories...and I did drink beer when I had the RNY....and I was maintaining weight and keeping food down,,,.My portion size, carb intake, sweet intake hasnt changed..I still eat as if I have the RNY...I cant hold anymore than that. Liquids are easier to hold than food..which is weird.

I dont want or need anymore health isses than I have now....and I think my surgeon I have is the best in the state. I chose the RNY because of my health state before. I was on the downward spiral of heading towards dialysis...I didnt want that...and dont want that now...So Will see what comes of our discussion in April.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/20 9:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It is absolutely possible to gain weight after RNY. Once you're all healed up, you can still eat junk food; restriction tends to be higher for protein than it is for carbs, so you can graze on Cheetos all day long.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dintybinty
on 3/2/20 9:18 am

I wish I could eat junk food..I cant my stomach doesnt like it. Its been 17 months since my reversal...Am I done healing? I see my surgeon April 20th. we will see what happens

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/20 9:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was replying to your comment, "I cannot understand how some people gain weight after the RNY."

While this may not be the case for you, this is what we tend to see among people *****gain after RNY.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dintybinty
on 3/2/20 9:34 am

I didnt mean to say regain weight AFTER RNY....I meant to say how do people gain weight WITH the RNY...and stretch it.....I couldnt eat much and if I did it hurt..so..I didnt overeat

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 245 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics