Weightlifting after surgery?

dcbrown3
on 3/13/20 9:07 am

I know I need to check with my surgery team after to get the go ahead. And as of right now they're telling me light weight a few weeks after and should be able to resume normal lifting at about 8 weeks. I enjoy going to a boxing gym to lift and hit the bags. Unfortunately, I'm sidelined from that now with tearing my bicep during a workout, so for right now it's leg workouts and walking. But, I was just curious to see how long it took anyone to get back to a normal lifting routine and if you experienced any issues. Most people that I know that have had the surgeries only a very few actually go to the gym. Hopefully getting scheduled for surgery at some point this summer and excited to be able to workout after and see the results. Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dane

Teenie
on 3/13/20 12:16 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Follow Great8 on the RNY menu thread he beasts it in the gym. I just do cardio due to hernia surgery but looking forward to getting back to weight training late this summer.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

dcbrown3
on 3/16/20 6:06 am

Great, thank you for your input! I'll be sure to follow him. I'm kind of slowed up at the moment too, I tore my bicep in the gym the other week. That'll hopefully be healed in the next few weeks. Hope your recovery goes well!

Partlypollyanna
on 3/13/20 12:47 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

"Most people that I know that have had the surgeries only a very few actually go to the gym."

You will find a lot of people here who go to the gym, have intentional exercise most days, and have a focus on fitness - as much for mental health as for anything - people are weightlifting, yoga, group fitness, peleoton, swimming, roller derby - we cover the gamut!

I am no seriously weights person by any means but By 10 weeks I had no weight restrictions other than "if it hurts, stop."

good luck on your process!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

dcbrown3
on 3/16/20 6:09 am

Awesome! I'm glad I was directed to this group! A lot of input and helpful information. That's the thing even with being obese almost my entire life I've enjoyed intentional exercise and sports. So, I'm looking forward to the process and excited to see where I can get with everything following surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/19/20 3:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon cleared me for cardio at 2 weeks, but I wasn't allowed to lift anything over 10lb until 6 weeks post op. I was really low energy at first, so I waited until about week 8 or so to get into lifting. I follow a "strength training for roller derby players" routine so a lot of deadlifts and squats and core work, and I was able to get back to normal at about two months post op.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 245 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics