Post RNY indigestion/heartburn experience?

Melody P.
on 3/14/20 12:46 pm - Amarillo, TX

I'm seeking advice about post RNY indigestion.

I've been having it off & on for about a month but it's been pretty bad for a week or so now. I see my bariatric surgeon on the 26th to talk about it and I've been taking over the counter omeprazole for that time. I find I am coughing a lot. Not the sick kind of cough but the tickle in your throat. I've also had a sore throat when I lay down or eating or drinking something acidic.

I've actually been eating well the past few days and it seems to have gotten worse.

I'm at a loss about what to do. I'll be cutting out what little coffee I drink, no carbonated drinks and not much spicy food at all(salt and like).

I know that this can happen but it's really gotten me down. I'll for sure bring it up with my surgeon.

MadisonRose
on 3/14/20 1:45 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

I have this all the time now. It's especially bad when I lie down to go to sleep. I've discussed it with my bariatric surgeon who says if it continues they will need to run more tests. I just never followed up with the extra tests and have come to accept I'll probably be on over the counter omeprazole the rest of my life. At least it's not near as bad as it was before my surgery. Before surgery I would wake up in the middle of the night choking on my stomach acid. But it's still annoying and bad enough to keep me awake at night if I take nothing for it. It sucks though because I really thought the bypass surgery would cure my heartburn. I was so looking forward to that, but I'm thankful it's a lot better than it was!

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Melody P.
on 3/14/20 3:20 pm - Amarillo, TX

I too thought it would be at least a lot better. It's one of the things that's been depressing on top of my back issues. It has been almost as bad as it was before my revision.

its been discouraging but I think I'm finally getting over the fact that life can suck.

thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 3/14/20 2:16 pm

I have heard you should stop eating 3-4 hours before going to bed.

Also, when my dad was fighting esophageal cancer, my parents raised the top of their bed using bed risers so their bed was at an angle. This kept the acid from rising into his throat. It worked better than a wedge because he kept sliding down the wedge.

Best wishes, Melody!! Keep fighting for youe health!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Melody P.
on 3/14/20 3:23 pm - Amarillo, TX

Some of my medications at night require taking it with food...if not it kills my stomach.

the wedges do indeed suck! I have one and I slide down too.

thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/15/20 1:44 pm

I developed that over the years. We (my docs and I) not really know why. But it went as far as having changes in esophagus, 5-10%. Even to be concerned.

In my case it's most likely reaction to foods, drinks, even fillers in medication. I.e. some companies use medical grade SLS to help absorption of the meds. It seams my body hates it and my throat get severely irritated. Now I need to avoid that.

Early post op RNY I was taking generic omeprazole. But when things started burning, that did not work. W e tried all OTC PPI, but nothing gave me relief, my doc prescribed dexilant and so far that's the only medication that helps.

I am slowly tapering down. Now I am on 30 mg once a day. I used to be on 60, plus zantac. And chewing tums when I was burning inside. Until the meds really started working, I sleped in a recliner. It was hard rolling to my side.

I drink one strong coffee. I make cold brewed coffee concentrate and get 1/2 coffee half ho****er to drink my daily coffee. After that coffee I drink mostly teas, black or green teas..

Our body produces acid in response to histamine. Food's Histamine that naturally is in in foods, and histamine our body makes in response to something we are allergic to.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 3/15/20 6:54 pm - Warren, OH

What works for me in a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. I do sleep in a temperpedic bed and always sleep with my head elevated. It is a miserable experience to go through and I hope you find a way to get relief.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cris1976
on 3/15/20 11:20 pm

Hi,

Pure Lemon juice (withou****ter) can help you.

Dee_Caprini
on 3/16/20 10:24 am

I have not experienced any of the issues you are feeling other than occasional indigestion if I eat too close to bedtime. I am so sorry you are experiencing discomfort and pain. Do you have a recliner that you can sleep in for a little bit to minimize symptoms? You'll be tested for various things and hope you do not have an ulcer or the like. Please keep us posted!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?