What's everyone reading, watching, listening to?

Dee_Caprini
on 3/25/20 3:34 pm

Paul Holes Retired Detective) and Billy Jensen (Investigative Journalist) both worked on the GSK case... YES! They take cold cases and break them down asking anyone for help to solve them or find additional victims of a perp. Really interesting way of providing information, showing how solving crimes can be on a broader spectrum and not just in the "police force".

I really love the way Paul Holes breaks things down from a detective standpoint, why they do certain things, etc. I am a few episodes into Small Town Dicks and it's run by 2 ladies (one of which is the voice of Lisa Simpson) and they bring in 2 detectives who happen to be twin brothers who have worked on various cases with each other. Theirs is a little more serious but again, I like learning "why" behind both perpetrator and detective/police investigations and trying to learn something from every single case.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/20 10:30 am

3-4 months I discovered my stash of audiobooks. And as times go, I listen to one book, and of course want them all in a series.

One series i am listening to is Dirk Pitt by Clive Cussler. The books have the agent 007 unbelievable story-lines, and main character Dirk Pitt. The "Hero", that all woman want to be with and all the guys want to be him. Some books from the series was published in late 70's or early 80's. The male chauvinism is unbelievable. And they drink alcohol all the time. considering the revolution of the last 30 years, I have t remind myself when the books were written and published. But they are fun.

I also like the Dean Koontz Odd Thomas books. Cool easy on the mind.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Partlypollyanna
on 3/23/20 11:42 am
RNY on 02/14/18

My nephew told me that they made an Odd Thomas mini series but I haven't seen it. I used to read the Dirk Pitt books...they were fun -- lots of action, a bit of history. The first one I read was Raise the Titanic, I think. Steve Berry has a line of books now that have the same mix of history, action, suspense and I enjoy those too! My problem is I cannot read books out of order and he puts out a couple of books a year and I can't keep up!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/20 12:16 pm

Clive Cussler died just recently. There are 25 books in the series Dirk Pitt. I have 20 as audio books, and 25 in xxx.pub format. I listen to book #15, and ... I had to get all of them. Like you, unless I don't like something, I like to read that in order.

I am now on book 13. Audio-books are cool. I can listen to them while driving, and even when I am getting ready for work, or cooking or cleaning the house.

One of his book "Sahara" was made into a movie. Movie that lost money and the company were suing him, telling him he overestimated how many books he sold.

Overall - there are really simple, impossible plots, very fast paste books.

Dead Koontz, - his Odd Thomas, I had #2, and #3 as audio, and I discovered #1 was made as a movie (Netflix, or Hulu "Odd Thomas"). Then I found 2 more (# 4 and #5) on CDes in a local library. I only miss the last one. My library doesn't have it on CD. But once I am done with the Dirk Pitt, and the ones 4 & 5 I have - it would be a while).

I also have one the Dean Koontz Frankenstein books on audio. And..now I know I will read or listen to more of his books.

BTW: I really like David Baldacci books. He had a few short series. Really liked them.

I am a book hoarder. I was going to retire this year and I got so many books, since while I work, i really don't have time to read as much. Most books I got are either free - hand me down, or some I got supper cheap in thrift stores, or garage sales. Or even through FB marketplace or Local Craigs list. My goal is to not pay more than $1 for a book when buying more than 1. Often much less.

One of local thrift stores are selling Hardcover for 0.50 or $0.25 each, paperback for 0.25 - 0.12 each.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Partlypollyanna
on 3/24/20 11:27 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I have a tshirt that says It's Not Hoarding if It's Books. I wear it when I go to book sales.

Jen

dcbrown3
on 3/23/20 11:15 am, edited 3/23/20 4:18 am

With being an essential employee I've been working long days, so haven'****ched much during the week. By time I get home I'm ready for supper and sleep. This weekend in between catching up on sleep, I started binge watching All American on Netflix. Grea****ch if your a football fan! About a teen from a bad part of LA that gets recruited to play in Beverly Hills, about dealing with life as a teen, a star athlete, an absentee father, and friends with gang ties. It's loosely based on a true story.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/23/20 11:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18

My "my brain is so fried I just need to stare at the TV" binges rotate between the original Law and Order series and episodes of the great British bake-off. It's a remarkable soothing show.

Jen

dcbrown3
on 3/23/20 2:10 pm

I've watched a few of the British cooking and baking shows on Netflix. I usually put them on to fall asleep to lo.

Melody P.
on 3/23/20 1:25 pm - Amarillo, TX

I've been exploring a lot of different music. My mind is to clouded to do much serious stuff. I tried the simarillion by Tolkien as it's been many years since reading it but my mind can't follow along.

Here are some of the ones I liked toward the bottom( with the exception of the never enough by ffdp, that's an older one but still my fav of theirs )

I also took some photos yesterday of straws(this is the only one on my iPad atm). I'm working on chainmaille again.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/23/20 5:39 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh wow! I would not have known those were straws! Your photos are so creative!

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?