Baking question-

Michelle I.
on 4/28/20 9:04 am - VSG-1/6/14, CA

I love to cook-I mean I LOVE to cook.

I would like to know if anyone can advise me on the best sugar sub to use in baking?

There so many options and I want to make sure I choose the best one.

TIA for any ideas!

catwoman7
on 4/28/20 9:19 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I use Splenda but I have a friend who uses a monk fruit one - so I bought some of that to try once I've used up this bag of Splenda. I think a lot of them will work (it usually says on the package if it can be used for baking) - so it may depend more on your personal taste and which artificial sweeteners you can tolerate (some people find that certain ones cause G/I distress - or at least for them)

KimmyJJ
on 4/28/20 10:07 am

catwoman7, this reply gave me an idea to do a 'bake-off' since I have both Splenda and Monk Fruit. I am still pre-surgery, but would like to try them both. I don't bake a ton since most of it had previously lead to bad choices, but I think coming up with healthier options would be good for me, since I know I might want a piece of banana bread once a month! Do people's tastes change after surgery?

catwoman7
on 4/28/20 10:39 am
RNY on 06/03/15

my tastes didn't change in terms of suddenly I didn't like foods that I liked pre-surgery, or vice versa, but my sense of taste DID become more intense. Sweet things tasted sweeter (sometimes WAY too sweet), spicier things tasted spicier (ditto). I don't notice tht anymore, though. I don't know if it was just a a temporary thing or if I just got used to it so I don't notice anymore (??)

Teenie
on 4/28/20 10:11 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I use all of them depending on what I am doing. I like Swerve because it comes in brown powdered and granular and they say use = to sugar. I sometimes find it way to sweet. I have the erythritol because I see a few recipes that call for it. I find you always got to play with them all before you get it right. But I am a Stevia person when it come to sweeting tea and coffee.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Michelle I.
on 4/28/20 12:05 pm - VSG-1/6/14, CA

I do use the Stevia for my cream of wheat! But I wasn't sure how it would be in a baked product. :)

Dee_Caprini
on 4/28/20 10:23 am

I have used Splenda, both the liquid and the sugar, Truvia, Swerve and a couple of others... I think my favorite one is Swerve. I have baked with their mixes as well and I don't taste an aftertaste with it. I guess it depends on you personal preference. Trial and error (or taste) lol.

I just need to find a no-bake no oat cookie that I can enjoy! I want to try the Swerve Chocolate Chip cookies, but really want to make one with ingredients I have in the house

Teenie
on 4/28/20 1:36 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Look for the Keto No bake Caramel Cookies on kimspireddiy.com I find them very satisfying for a nice treat.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Dee_Caprini
on 4/28/20 3:23 pm

ooh! Thank you!

White Dove
on 4/28/20 11:45 am - Warren, OH

The absolute best is called Whey Low. It is absolutely like sugar in taste and for baking because it is sugar with 75% of the calories removed. Most artificial sweeteners have a weird aftertaste and many cause the unpleasant side effects of farting and diarrhea.

You may tolerate and like a sweetener, but if you serve the baked goods to others they may dislike the taste or may have digestive issues from them.

Buy in small quantities and use it up. It does not store well. A 2 pound pouch will do me for several months. Whole Foods carries it. It is NOT available on Amazon. I pay for shipping, but it is still worth it to me. www.wheylow.com

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?