Does anyone have experience with dysphagia?

Melody P.
on 7/2/20 2:40 pm - Amarillo, TX

I've got some testing ordered by my surgeon today. I don't have a date yet but he wants to test for dysphagia and an EGD.

i can't remember the exact name of the other test but some type of sonogram with me swallowing a contrast.

I'm a little nervous about all this. I knew the EGD would happen but it still makes me a bit well...nervous LOL

has anyone had the sonogram test before? He thinks I might have dysphagia of some sorts. Thanks!

catwoman7
on 7/2/20 3:54 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had slight dysphagia a number of years ago (way before I had RNY). They did an EGD and stretched my esophagus a little - kind of like the stretch strictures. I didn't have to have the sonogram.

Melody P.
on 7/3/20 10:33 am - Amarillo, TX

thanks for the reply!

I've had problems swallowing mostly when I lay down. I have to take a few really deep breaths to get to swallow when it happens. It's strange but I'm hoping the test will provide a key to a path of getting better.

Laura in Texas
on 7/5/20 7:04 pm

Why do you have to swallow when you lie down?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Melody P.
on 7/5/20 11:54 pm - Amarillo, TX

I'm not sure, just feel the need I guess. It's not from eating or drinking. I have a lot of issues with dry mouth due to medications so maybe that is why?

sweetpotato1959
on 7/7/20 12:31 pm

Melody, try putting the head of your bed up on blocks..4-6 inches...or a big wedge pillow nder your shoulders.... you could have a hernia at base of esophagus- would make more pressure when laying down..

My brother had this issue and he had a narrow esophagus at entrance to stomach... and a hernia..he had esophagus stretched.. and a mini repair was done.....

Denise
momyshaver
on 7/5/20 6:13 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I haven't had sonogram tests with contrast but I have had many swallow studies where you drink contrast and they take photos of different parts of that structure and gi tract along with the scopes and stuff. Hopefully the tests will narrow down what is causing your issues.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?