Gastroparesis years after RNY

onetyger
on 7/27/20 9:11 pm - Clover, SC

I had RNY about 11 years ago and lost 160 pounds with no complications. After a couple of years, I went through 5 pregnancies. Two full-term and three missed miscarriages that resulted in D&C's. Eventually, even with watching my diet and portions, I gained pretty much all of my weight back, mostly due to depression and an alcohol addiction that lasted a couple of years.

For the last two years, I've had chronic nausea and vomiting almost every time I eat, no matter how much or what it is. After losing 50 pounds in 3-4 months, I finally told my doctor shortly after recovering from pneumonia. I was given an abdominal CT scan that showed some liver damage and portal hypertension. I was also referred to a gastroenterologist.

The gastroenterologist tried many tests including a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and a gallbladder function test. A cardiologist even suspected pulmonary hypertension and I had an echocardiogram and nuclear stress test (both were normal). As a last resort, the GI doctor did a gastric emptying test but he was sure that wouldn't be the problem since I'd had gastric bypass. I got my results today, and low and behold it was abnormal and showed a significant delay. So, I don't see the doctor again for a couple of weeks but I know the diagnosis is gastroparesis.

Has anyone ever developed this after RNY and how was yours treated? I'm already on an acid reducer and phenergan three times a day but neither helps at all and so far, they wouldn't give me anything stronger. I know one treatment is a gastric pacemaker but I'm not sure how well that works after RNY. I've also read that Raglan can sometimes help but I tend to not respond well to many medications.

Just curious as to what types of treatment other RNY patients have had and whether it resolved the symptoms or not.

momyshaver
on 8/2/20 10:24 am
VSG on 06/28/17

That is pretty much were I am at too as far as what GI has done with suspected gastroparesis. The phenergan does help me a little bit and small, frequent meals during flares...although to be frank, during a flare I tend to just not eat rather than risk that reflux and heavy nausea that I can't escape from. A lot of foods suggested during flares aren't RNY or bypass plan foods, which doesn't help with maintaining a healthy weight. I have seen such mixed reviews on gastric pacemakers and I refused to try Reglan but some people say it has helped them.

onetyger
on 8/2/20 10:37 am - Clover, SC

I only wish I had flares, but mine has literally been every day for the last couple of years. It started out as just after eating, but now it's sometimes even a few hours after a meal. I sometimes even wake up from strong bouts of nausea. I had lost 50 pounds in about 4 months awhile back because I had no appetite and was only eating about once a day. But right now I also have chronic insomnia so I tend to eat several times during the day and night even though I get sick. I think I finally decided to start back eating since I was getting sick whether I ate or not. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you as well. I have my GI appointment on the 12th and will try to update then.