Revision from VSG to ?? 80# Trauma regain after 9 yrs post-op

foolishgrrl_1
on 8/10/20 8:34 pm
VSG on 03/11/13

I'm back. This was such an amazing outlet on my original journey years ago. So much has happened, new life, new city, new career... new pounds.
I managed well for several years, I had adjusted to my new way of eating and looking at food. After losing my dad unexpectedly, my long term relationship, my best friend, my home that I knew, and changing jobs after 18 years... I failed. I failed so hard. It crept in 5# and then 10#. At 20# I started to get concerned and started to really rub to buckle down. But I was knee deep in a toxic relationship all alone in the Midwest and food was my only real 'friend' I could depend on.
After years of therapy and souls searching, OWNING my self worth and not basing it on other people's pressures or opinions- I'm ready to take my life back.
I am considering a revision surgery. My tool worked for me. It was my single best decision I've ever made. But now I'm faced with having to do either the RNY or DS and is love to hear pros and cons. Bonus points if you had a revision.

My family and current partner aren't super thrilled with this idea, but I own my decisions and I need to get my health back. So I'm looking to this awesome community for some support and greatly appreciate any advise.

Sorry so long, thanks in advance!

H.

White Dove
on 8/11/20 6:43 am - Warren, OH

First off, revisions are remarkably unsuccessful. The average weight loss with a revision is 20 pounds and that is mainly from the liquid diet before and after the surgery. Since you have probably stretched your stomach back to its normal size, you no longer have much benefit from your VSG.

RNY will give restriction and temporary malabsorption. DS will give restriction and permanent malabsorption. But you can easily eat around any surgery. I had RNY in 2007. I have had regain and lost it again many times. It is extremely easy to start overeating. Your body will adjust to the surgery and learn how to handle more and more food.

Every one of us goes through things that bring on stress and lead to overeating. We all have relationships that have difficulty or end, relatives that get sick, friends and relatives that pass on. We have periods of feeling lonely and sad. Food is an easy and familiar source of comfort. Weight gain is normal.

The real way to maintain your weight and health is with diet and exercise. After weight loss surgery, I thought I would never have to diet again. The reality is that I have to diet every day of my life.. I can call it a healthy eating plan or a lifestyle change but it involves not eating more calories than my body can burn.

Before you put your body through another surgery, do lots of research. We have a revision board. Read stories there, but mostly look to see whether those people kept posting after their surgeries. If you are actually working with a surgeon, then ask to talk to his revision patients who are more than three years out.

A revision is nothing like a first surgery. Be sure that you are informed and have reasonable expectations before you make any decision.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

foolishgrrl_1
on 8/11/20 3:47 pm
VSG on 03/11/13

Thank you for responding, I appreciate the info and advise. I'm in my research phase currently. ?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics