Fatigue

Melody P.
on 8/11/20 11:26 am - Amarillo, TX

I am curious how to approach my doctors about fatigue. Which doctor should I even talk to? I feel tired all the time. It's been like this for a long time. My last labs looked good as far as I can tell and my bariatric surgeon thought it was good.

i take all my vitamins without fail. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

a note...I had back surgery 3 weeks ago and right before a nurse asked if anyone had ever told me about my nails. I told her no and she said I should ask my doctor about it. I really don't know what she meant but thought some of y'all might know about that stuff.

thanks!

SuMari
on 8/11/20 12:07 pm

Has your Thyroid been checked? When I was 16, my primary asked me about my nails ( guess I have lines and along with a few other questions (tired, dry skin, weight gain, sensitivity to the cold are a few) went through blood work testing specifically for my Thyroid to find that I have Hypothyroidism.

Found this as well: Thyroid diseases such as hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism may cause brittle nails or splitting of the nail bed from the nail plate (onycholysis). Severe illness or surgery may cause horizontal depressions in the nails Beau lines.

Maybe something to ask?

I am getting ready to have surgery (hopefully soon) so I know with major changes I have to have it checked religiously to have my meds updated.

Melody P.
on 8/11/20 1:52 pm, edited 8/11/20 6:57 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks! I do have hypothyroidism and take a medication for it. As of two months ago the numbers were great.

I have puffy nail folds, brittle nails and they are rippled.

Dee_Caprini
on 8/11/20 3:28 pm

My guess would be to talk to your primary care physician 1st and if he or she feels that it is a bariatric issue then make a follow up appointment with your surgeon. It may also be something as easy as changing up your diet so even your nutritionist may have some insight for you.

I find that when I go back and see that I've consumed more carbs than normal then I feel a bit sluggish. That is when I know I need to cut back on those and up my protein intake

Hopefully nothing too serious/more than just being tired. Better to be safe than sorry.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/12/20 3:55 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

My first question would be what is your Ferritin number? Doctors will say the labs are good, but that is not all ways the case. When my Ferritin was 5 I was so tired it took every ounce of strength to do the simplest things.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 511 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 484 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 492 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 460 views