What products do you suggest

catwoman7
on 9/18/20 10:27 am, edited 9/18/20 3:28 am
RNY on 06/03/15

actually, I do know a lot of normal weight people who obsess about their weight, calories, etc. Although maybe it's a lot more common in women...

Tekish
on 9/18/20 11:58 am
On September 18, 2020 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, catwoman7 wrote:

actually, I do know a lot of normal weight people who obsess about their weight, calories, etc. Although maybe it's a lot more common in women...

OK, I'm just brainstorming here, so if I'm off base I apologize in advance.

It seems like, you know, women ARE different. The research I've done seems to bear this out.

Don't flame me, it's just an idea.

Tek

Siacor102
on 9/18/20 5:38 pm
White Dove
on 9/18/20 10:40 am - Warren, OH

Sadly normal in the US is being overweight. And 40% of people in the US are now obese. What looks normal now is very unhealthy people. They don't weigh themselves, don't exercise, and don't count calories. I used to love living like a "normal" person, but I did not love what it did to my body.

Surgery helped me to get to my ideal weight and counting calories, exercise, and daily weighing is what keeps me there. When I try to be "normal", I end up fat. I am keeping my scale.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tekish
on 9/18/20 12:57 pm
On September 18, 2020 at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Sadly normal in the US is being overweight. And 40% of people in the US are now obese. What looks normal now is very unhealthy people. They don't weigh themselves, don't exercise, and don't count calories. I used to love living like a "normal" person, but I did not love what it did to my body.

Surgery helped me to get to my ideal weight and counting calories, exercise, and daily weighing is what keeps me there. When I try to be "normal", I end up fat. I am keeping my scale.

About 60% of people aren't obese. This is still the true normal.

What the 40% do isn't important to me. Heck, what the 60% do isn't important to me.

What is important to me is my perception of myself. That perception can be a lifelong, draining treadmill of watching calories, carbs, and weights, or one of enjoying life. I chose the latter.

I will not live a life feeling deprived. And punishing myself if a gain weight. Nor rewarding myself if I don't. I don't want weight to be part of the equation of my happy life.

Tek

Dee_Caprini
on 9/18/20 10:42 am, edited 9/18/20 3:43 am

I agree with the digital scale. We got ours at Bed Bath and Beyond... and who doesnt have a stack of 20% off coupons sitting around?! and those things are still accepted if they're expired! I think the one we have is from Perfect Portions

I didn't have a scale for a long time I'd say for about 10 years but now I need one because my body has changed drastically so I HAVE to rely on the scale to let me know how it's changing. I don't weight myself every day, but I do so about once a week.
I have a FitTrack scale. My friend had a code from when she attended the conference this past year, I think it was OH20 at checkout... not sure if it will still work but it's worth a try. My parents have a Apple Scale that hooks up to their iphone and watches...

I have a food log that I use from LoseIt that I feel helps me track what I am doing. It tells me positive and negative trends and things I can do to get to my goal.

I have a FitBit that tells me my steps and usually can get my butt in gear when I haven't moved in a while with the gentle nudges I've set.

I have had a VitaMix for quite some time and it's nice to be able to make soups in the unit that are still warm when I piur into my bowl. Lots of recipes. Find a blender that can help with both hot and cold, if needed

I have also used a lot of the recipes that are posted here and from the websites that are mentioned (like HungryGirl) and they have helped with various stages along in my journey. Just make sure it's ok with your plan before anything else.

Bone Broths are amazing and I still partake, 12 years out. You can find various brands out there that are the kind that you pop into the microwave or add to water and heat up. Great source of protein. But, you can also make your own if you have the time and patience.

a measuring tape... take measurements now and keep track of things because if you fell you aren't losing weight, you can track to see if you are losing inches

Photos... take photos often and you can do side by side. try to wear the same clothes in each so you can see differences

Good luck!

Partlypollyanna
on 9/18/20 11:28 am, edited 9/18/20 4:38 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I haven?t read all the responses so this may be redundant but

1) digital food scale

2) smart scale

3) a food tracker you will use regularly ? there are so many options, I like baritastic, I know a lot of people use My Fitness Pal, find the one you like

4) take a photo pre surgery

5) don?t over stock on shakes or protein water - enough people have taste changes that you could end up with a lot you won?t drink.

6) if you can get a bone density scan before, do it. It will give you a good baseline. I didn?t get one until into my second year so still good to have but not as good as if I?d gotten it earlier.

7) multi, b12, iron and calcium (Chewable and then regular, as you?re allowed to start them, no gummies)

8) make sure you?re doing the head work now, you?ll appreciate it after

you?ve got this!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Siacor102
on 9/18/20 5:38 pm

Great question I am following this one closely.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/20 10:17 am, edited 9/21/20 3:18 am

I agree with WD and PPA about digital body scale. I can gain 20 bs and still fit in my clothes. If i weigh a few times a week (at least) I know how my body is doing.

I never look at one number. My weight can fluctuate within 5-6 lbs every 48 hours. Seriously. For long term monitoring I need an average weight over a month. It long term, now 12 years post op RNY.

Over the years i found out when it a healthy for me weight. I have a big frame, plus muscles, so my body weight is not as important to me as my body fat %.

I roughly know my minimum healthy weight, and maximum. Scale helps me fin out where my body is, and change my diet if I see I am gaining or losing too much.

I know a weight when I start feeling more pain in my back, my hips and in my knees.

I also know a weight when I get to thin, when my bones pinch my nerves causing not only pain but also numbness. When there is not enough "meat on my bones" that also affects how strong or weak I feel, and how often do I have to eat. If I m too thin, my blood sugar would crash more often and I don't have a luxury of being able to skip a meal just because I was not hungry.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics