Plant Based Diet after RNY?

Siacor102
on 9/21/20 8:07 am

So I have been doing a lot of research and reading and I found some interesting articles on a plant based diet. Since I am trying to change my eating habits I was thinking about adapting to this type of diet and wanted to know if anyone who has had gastric bypass has done or is doing a plant-based diet and if you would be willing to share your thoughts? Also I am open to any info as to why this isn't a good choice after surgery if there is one.

Christina135
on 9/21/20 9:39 am

Hi there,

I had my RNY about 11 years ago. I am completely plant based, no animal products. No dairy, no meat, no fish, etc. For full disclosure, I eat this way with blessing of my surgeon's office and internist. I go every six months for bloodwork, and I am vigilant in my vitamins. I am able to get all of my calories and nutrients from the food I eat, and supplements that I take.

At this point, there's so many options for being plant based that you can absolutely achieve your caloric and nutritional goals. As someone who eats this way daily, and has great lab work, I am all for it. However, you absolutely need to discuss your desire to go plant based with your doctor, as you will need to work with them to ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs. I don't know when you had surgery, but at 11 years out I can eat enough during the day to ensure my protein requirements and other macros are met.

Plant based does not mean automatically mean health food or lower calorie. French fries are plant based. It's just as easy to eat vegan junk food as it is regular junk food, so the eating habits won't change automatically. I made the decision to do this based on the fact that I really never liked meat much anyhow, I've been off milk for about 10 years, I don't find animal products to be a sustainable food source for long term. I have other reasons as well but I respect the fact that there's lots of meat eaters on this forum and my intent isn't to convert anyone. That being said, I'm an open book to any specific questions you may have.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Siacor102
on 9/21/20 12:47 pm

Thank you for this info. This is very helpful. I do realize and agree plant base does not mean health food or lower in calorie but I was talking to a friend who said that most plant based diets are high in carbs since it is a lot of vegetables and that once you have surgery you want to keep your carbs low. I will plan on talking to the RD and surgeon for input as well since I have not had surgery yet this is a topic I want to explore with both of their guidance. It would be a hard transition for me but one I am willing to make if it is sensible for me in conjunction with the surgery.

Christina135
on 9/21/20 2:34 pm

I do eat a lot of carbs. Every day, every meal. However, remember all carbs are not created equally. I don't eat a lot of carbs from candy, crackers, sugary snacks, cereals, etc. My carbs come in the forms of beans, lentils, nut butters, potatoes, etc.

It can seem overwhelming. I think you have to have a talk with yourself and really determine what your intent is, and it will make it that much easier to start and stick with it. For me, I had the incentive of knowing I didn't enjoy meat, there's lots of alternatives and I feel it's a kinder way to exist in this world.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Tidgel
on 9/21/20 1:26 pm
RNY on 04/15/19

I have been thinking of doing the same. I just bought Vega Protein & Greens Powder and shakes and am going to try them starting tomorrow! I will be following this post!

Dee_Caprini
on 9/21/20 3:40 pm

I have wondered this as well! Great question. I have found that many products are to "carby" for me and things with a lot of soy tend to make me bloated if I eat too much... but, I have learned some various alternatives that have more fiber and protein to offset if I feel like I want "something more". I have done beyond burgers and those are pretty tasty.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?