Help....

Itsmejenn
on 9/23/20 5:53 am

Hi all- I am looking for some help, advice, suggestions, or just someone who can relate.

I am 15 months post RNY, down almost 150lbs and I have been struggling for the last 2 months with overeating and feeling the need to constantly graze!

I feel myself going back to bad habits and I am so scared that I am going to gain back all the weight- it's so true that this is not an easy fix and it really comes down to willpower and hard work. I have never had binging issues or any kind of food addiction in the past- I just simply ate poorly and never measured portions - but I am finding myself wondering if since my bypass surgery I have developed this issue.

I find myself eating over 2000 calories some days, and I have stopped being as active as I was during summer. I have no motivation. I have tried doing 1 reset and after 4 days I fell back into these crappy eating habits. I have no "goodies" in the house at the moment and I find if I don't have them in the house I do much better so I am working on that. When I say goodies, I mean things like Smart Sweets, Skinny Pop popcorn, protein bars. Not chips, ice cream, cookies or stuff like that thank god but the other goodies aren't good either.

Please can anyone relate, have any advice?

What foods make you feel satisfied and full?

Thanks in advance for your response.

- J

Teenie
on 9/23/20 10:40 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Have you check in with a therapist? This might be where you need to be. I know a few on here that talk about there therapist and how it really helps. Also get back to your surgeon see what they suggest. This article might help.

https://www.griffinhospitalbariatrics.com/nutrition/the-seven-habits-of-successful-weight-loss-surgery-patients/

I find #7 very important. Good luck getting back on track.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Dee_Caprini
on 9/23/20 10:41 am

Hi. How long has it been since you have seen a mental health pro or nutritionist? sometimes, showing the pros when, why, what etc will help you set yourself back on track using tools that once proved helpful in the past. Additionally, sometimes those "goodies" are a gateway into old habits and it's best not to have those temptations (at least for me) even under my roof.

I can relate, entirely and have recently done an overhaul on my pantry. There are areas that were untouched and had things that I forgot were there that I once used to keep me on track. I got new broths, ground meats, protein shakes, and am working on getting back on track. That is going to take a lot of hard work and I know I can't do it alone. I have reached out to my dietitian for help and am waiting for my appointment sometime next week.

Try doing things little by little if that's easier. Good luck!

Tekish
on 9/24/20 7:40 am
On September 23, 2020 at 12:53 PM Pacific Time, Itsmejenn wrote:

Hi all- I am looking for some help, advice, suggestions, or just someone who can relate.

I am 15 months post RNY, down almost 150lbs and I have been struggling for the last 2 months with overeating and feeling the need to constantly graze!

I feel myself going back to bad habits and I am so scared that I am going to gain back all the weight- it's so true that this is not an easy fix and it really comes down to willpower and hard work. I have never had binging issues or any kind of food addiction in the past- I just simply ate poorly and never measured portions - but I am finding myself wondering if since my bypass surgery I have developed this issue.

I find myself eating over 2000 calories some days, and I have stopped being as active as I was during summer. I have no motivation. I have tried doing 1 reset and after 4 days I fell back into these crappy eating habits. I have no "goodies" in the house at the moment and I find if I don't have them in the house I do much better so I am working on that. When I say goodies, I mean things like Smart Sweets, Skinny Pop popcorn, protein bars. Not chips, ice cream, cookies or stuff like that thank god but the other goodies aren't good either.

Please can anyone relate, have any advice?

What foods make you feel satisfied and full?

Thanks in advance for your response.

- J

I agree with others, "no motivation" is a tell that you may be depressed.

If depression or other mental health issues are part of your life, you already know where and how to get this help. Life-long mental health issues are different than situational depression.

When something bad happens in your life, or society itself has bad stuff going on, depression can be a natural and healthy response. If it goes too much or too long then it may be something with which to get help. Things like a vexatious political environment, or a world wide pandemic, or financial problems can bring out situational depression that may persist too long because the issues themselves persist too long.

Start perhaps with your PCP and get a referral to a MHP (Mental Health Professional). This will keep your whole team up to date on what's going on in with your healthcare. If the PCP and MHP think it would help some pharmaceuticals may be in your future.

Your MHP may help you determine if food and eating are an issue. My bet is you have always had unrecognized food issues. You don't get to the point of needing then having WLS without having food issues.

IF you really have no 'motivation', you might as well stop here. If you desire change but have no motivation to do it you cannot succeed. You need to get your mind on board before change is possible. We can't create your motivation for you.

Still here?

Diet's, 'resets', and other such are things that rarely worked pre-op rarely help now. These are things people use create an artificial move of the scale. They don't help get your mind right. They don't build sustainable habits.

When it comes to eating and losing weight go back to your Doc/Nut's plan. The plan you were supposed to use at, say, 6 months post-op. You KNOW it works, since it worked before.

You already know the answers to all your questions:

Portion sizes too large. Measure. Follow your Doc/Nut plan;

Snacks. Are they on your Doc/Nut plan? Continue doing the correct ones, measure. If you do better without snacks in the house don't have snacks in the house. Period.

Satisfied/Full. Trying to achieve this is part the issue. Use Doc/Nut plan.

Good luck. You can do it if you choose to.

Tek

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 289 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views