Help! Did anyone have mood swings after surgery, sensitivity?

MadsHunt
on 9/23/20 11:01 am

I'm just the average support husband who just posted a few days ago about how things are going pretty well. My wife had rny in February and it's been smooth for the most part.

Now she seems overly sensitive and prone to being quiet and weepy. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It just started a couple of days ago and no, it's not her lady time of the month.

Has anyone experienced mood swings after surgery, and does it level off?

MadsHunter

Melody P.
on 9/23/20 12:13 pm - Amarillo, TX

It happened to me. Note though, I am bipolar BUT a hormone dump is a real thing and happens when you lose weight fast. It leveled out for me about 7 months after my revision but like I said I also have bipolar disorder so I'm sure it's different for a lot of folks.

MadsHunt
on 9/24/20 10:08 am

Melody P. thank you for this information, I appreciate you sharing personal items to help others. Wow, there is a lot to consider in understanding what could go on with any of the surgeries, so I'm going to keep asking here and remain sensitive to her changes. This and some counseling could save us for sure. It's not too bad yet, but with new things coming at us, I want to try to stay ahead of things I'm able to!

MadsHunter

Dee_Caprini
on 9/23/20 3:15 pm

Yes, I can recall things getting to me more than they did previously. I do have to admit, my husband did everything he could to understand the surgery (as your are) and was pretty prepared as to any potential mood changes that arose. He picked his battles and if it was something I should have kept a grip on, he'd let it go... but, we would always talk about things that were irking us and it seems to have helped in our communication skills. I asked my doctor and he said that things were going to be "rearranged" over the first year or two...

Now I just chalk my weird emotions on getting older... lol

But, communication is key. understanding both sides and seeing where you both can grow together.

supershopper
on 9/24/20 4:42 am

yes I had some major mood swings for a period of time but eventually they leveled off. I felt like I had to fight and defend EVERYTHING I did/ ate etc... it was exhausting

then I felt like I had to fight at restaurant's etc. because if I didn't ask of be very specific they would do it wrong and I could get sick. so all of that was overwhelming.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

MadsHunt
on 9/24/20 10:13 am

supershopper, thank you. If anyone every suggests that surgery is the easy way out, they must not know how much is involved in it AFTER the surgery. As I read all over the message boards, I find that so many of you are so educated on the procedures and how much is involved in the life changes after. I'm impressed. What a resource I'm glad I found.

MadsHunter

hollykim
on 9/25/20 6:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Pacific Time, MadsHunt wrote:

I'm just the average support husband who just posted a few days ago about how things are going pretty well. My wife had rny in February and it's been smooth for the most part.

Now she seems overly sensitive and prone to being quiet and weepy. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It just started a couple of days ago and no, it's not her lady time of the month.

Has anyone experienced mood swings after surgery, and does it level off?

absolutely. Hormones are stored in fat and as we begin to burn that stored fat after surgery, those hormones are released into the blood stream causing the symptoms you describe.

it will pass as the hormones are processed.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 255 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?