Diy Help

free4ever
on 9/28/20 8:02 am - Elizabeth City, NC

I think I've resigned to the idea of getting a revision. My insurance won't budge. Thinking maybe it's not suppose to be. But now I must find a way to DIY and get this weight off.. my heart condition is worse and I worry. Any tips/suggestions?

Kellie

Member Services
on 9/28/20 9:44 am, edited 9/28/20 2:44 am - Irvine, CA

I know how frustrating it can be when you have an exclusion or no coverage at all. I was able to finally get surgery, but I did have to give up for about 2 years. During that time, I used this site to help with meal planning and support.

We have a recipe index that might be a good place to start. All the recipes are bariatric friendly. https://www.obesityhelp.com/bariatric-recipes/

My suggestion would be to start there, plan your meals and then track your macros (calories/carbs/protein). Focus on low carb/high protein (the protein will help to keep you satisfied).

Here is an article on focusing on healthy eating: https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/focus-on-healthy-eating-and-weight-loss-will-happen/

Exercising will need to be incorporated too.

Here is a great article on getting motivated and staying motivated to help with weight loss: https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/fitness-motivation-and- dedication-for-weight-loss-good-health/

I hope you find this a bit helpful.

White Dove
on 9/28/20 10:16 am - Warren, OH

Here is my suggestion:

1. Cheer up about the revision. They don't work for the majority of people, which is one reason insurance is not willing to pay for them. Average loss with revision is 20 pounds and that comes back.

2. Join Weigh****chers - attend meetings and weigh ins in person, if at all possible for you - otherwise do online meetings. Do not share your surgery with the people at Weigh****chers.

3. Set up an exercise program that you enjoy and will stick with.

4. Get a really good smart scale, a measuring tape, and a fitness tracker.

5. Consider this your new job. Set up a routine. Weigh every single day. Exercise almost every day. Rest day maybe once a week. Take measurements once a month. Track all of your food and attend your meetings.

There is no short cut and no quick and easy way around this. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. If you follow what I suggest, you will easily be down 50 pounds by this time next year.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maddymoe2
on 9/28/20 11:00 am
RNY on 11/22/16

White Dove,

You are one of the kindest people on the boards. You are always encouraging and so helpful. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you and your kind, loving heart.

ks76
on 9/30/20 1:51 pm
RNY on 11/29/17

I don't have anything to offer as I don't know much about revision as I've only had the RNY, but your number 2. suggestion. DONT share your surgery with them. RIGHT ON POINT. My mom works for them..has for years, I didn't even tell her I was having surgery until 2 weeks beforehand. In her eyes WW is the be all end all and I knew I'd hear about it. Even post op she would continuously ask my weight, if I was maintaining, if I was going to lose more..etc etc etc. Drove me bonkers. One day I finally told her. My weight hasn't changed since I hit my goal, I'm not one of your members, please stop asking me.

And she wonders why I was overweight most of my life.

Highest Weight: 315, Day Of Surgery: 291.5 CW 184

Dee_Caprini
on 9/29/20 11:00 am

I know a few people who felt that way and fought hard to get their documentation through the insurance chain. Some were approved and others ended up paying cash because (for the 2 I am referring) the lap band didn't work for them and they needed something more drastic... In the end, you have to do what is best for you and if you feel that bariatric surgery/revision is for you, I hope you make that happen.

LeonaCR
on 10/1/20 10:37 am

I don't understand what you mean by DIY? I hope you get the help you need soon. Prayers to you.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics