Help! My protein shakes all taste like dirt, every flavor!

ReginaL
on 10/12/20 3:41 pm
RNY on 06/25/20

Hi everyone, I'm not a big meat eater, so I use a good number of protein shakes to be able to get my protein in and rotate between two brands. Now every flavor for me tastes like dirt. What's going on? Will this go away?

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

White Dove
on 10/12/20 8:11 pm - Warren, OH

I tried different brands until I found one that I could tolerate. I used a lot of things to flavor them. Instant pudding mix, sugarfree syrups, and crystal light. I blended them with frozen strawberries or frozen blueberries.

The Eggface site has a lot of recipes

Protein Shakes

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ReginaL
on 10/14/20 8:26 am
RNY on 06/25/20

White Dove, this is great, I'll visit that site, and I'm going to start blending them with fresh fruit to see if the texture in those help. I just kept buying another flavor thinking that was it, but noooo it was any flavor, so I'll try anything to alter them so I can tolerate them. Hopefully at some point I will start to enjoy them again! Thanks!

White Dove
on 10/14/20 8:41 am - Warren, OH

BSN Syntra 6 is the best tasting protein powder I ever found. Once you try that I think you will never drink the others again. You might have to order it and pay shipping, but it is still worth it.

My test was to open a canister of protein powder and smell it. If it smelled like spoiled milk, then the shake was going to taste weird. BSN smells like a box of cake mix. Their shakes were always delicious. When you blend their chocolate milkshake flavor with frozen strawberries, it tastes like a Wendy's Frostie.

ReginaL
on 10/19/20 9:49 am
RNY on 06/25/20

White Dove, you're not kidding! I had exactly that flavor left from an order two months ago, tried the blending with strawberries and wow, spot on, a Frostie! Thanks for this, it helps so much to have people who blazed the trail to get advice from!

White Dove
on 10/13/20 5:13 am - Warren, OH

And even better than protein shakes are some of the treats and recipes from Quest Nutrition. I love their BBQ potato chips. You can also make things like the chocolate cream filled cupcakes, Zucchini Bread, or Margherita Pizza

You will be living with this surgery for the rest of your life. I found the secret was to give up nothing, but to find delicious high protein recipes for things that I love. I made the investment in things like coconut flour, almond flour, sugarfree syrups, and to buy the best ingredients. Make your program fun and your meals something to look forward to. You will be amazed at how well you can eat and still be slim and healthy.

ReginaL
on 10/19/20 10:07 am
RNY on 06/25/20

White Dove, that is exactly what I plan to do, buy the best I can get since this is for ME and and I want to be able to still enjoy foods but with much healthier portions. You have the best attitude! I'll try that zucchini bread recipe..we're picking the last of our zucchini in the garden. Yay, thanks!

MadisonRose
on 10/13/20 6:37 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I mostly drink premier protein shakes and recently I started mixing the strawberry, vanilla and even the chocolate ones with a frozen banana. To me it tastes like a milkshake....a treat I'm not supposed to have. So delicious! I honestly don't think I could go back to drinking them plain anymore. Sometimes I'll have the shake now instead of a meal I had planned because I crave them so much.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

ReginaL
on 10/14/20 8:30 am
RNY on 06/25/20

MadisonRose, I'll try a banana. Afterall, it used to be that nothing was better to me than a chocolate banana milkshake! So far I was just drinking the protein shakes as they are, with nothing added so I could get back to what I was doing. Granted it takes me a while to drink them now, not zip zip like the older days pre-surgery, but at least they didn't taste so nasty then.

Thanks for the suggestion!

EllyFunt
on 10/13/20 10:33 am
RNY on 08/21/20

I am feeling the same way you are! I have to force mine down sometimes!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404