Bypass Questions/Concerns

Blakestuhh
on 10/13/20 8:58 am
RNY on 10/07/20

I finally got cleared for surgery after months of work and ups & downs. I had mine last Wednesday morning. Some things that have been crossing my mind are that I have been really hungry over the week when I see things on tv or what not, like thinking about going on an eating spree. I thought this was suppose to help with that? Also it's almost been a week and I'm hovering around the weight I was day of surgery. I feel like I should of lost at least 5-10lbs first week of being on liquids. I've been following the rules and plan given to me, focusing on getting all my liquids in. Idk I'm feeling a little discouraged and feeling like maybe my surgery wasn't done correctly? I hope someone can help me or she's some light on this. Thanks

Christina135
on 10/13/20 2:11 pm

This is normal. Your brain wasn't operated on, your stomach was. Head hunger is absolutely real. If there was a cure for that, an actual surgery wouldn't ever be necessary.

You are only 6 days out from your surgery. At this point, you're probably still carrying some extra water, and there's healing going on that you can't detect. My advice is to stay off the scale for a little bit.

If you're following the rules, getting your liquids in, you're going to do well. I know in the beginning there's a desire to see big changes quickly, but sometimes it takes a little bit. Then before you know it, you have dropped weight like crazy.

Making sure that you are forming good habits is imperative at this early out. I promise, it's going to get so much easier.

I'm 11 years out, and I can still remember how difficult the first few weeks were. You will get past it!

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 2:12 pm
RNY on 10/21/20

I had surgery last Wednesday too and I seem to be having the opposite experience you are. I am not hungry at all and I am struggling to get my protein shakes down. They are also make me sick to my stomach. I remember in one of my nutrition classes I was told about head hunger and how it can be something that we struggle with after surgery I have intentionally no****ched any tv because the girl said that it was a trigger and could start head hunger. I have been sleeping as much as possible because I am really tired so that has helped but I bet that is what you are having. Have you tried doing something else when the thought of being hungry comes in? A few people from the support group I was in on said they have found new things to occupy their time one guy took up building models and a few other people were doing craft hobbies. Each was at a different stage but yet it seemed to make sense.

On the weight loss I was also told not to weigh or try to gauge weight loss during the first few weeks. I was even told that I could leave the hospital weighing more than I did when I came in or possibly have some gain over the first few post op days and this could be because of fluid retention. If you are doing everything you are supposed to food wise and eating on your diet plan then you should see your weight loss at some point. They stress to us at my program there is no set time of when you will see the difference on your scale so taking measurements will help. They also said that we could see a big drop in weight at one time so hang in there. I am sure we will both see some drastic changes in our weight loss soon.

Teenie
on 10/14/20 7:37 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Someone did their home work. You're very educated on WLS. You will be successful. Congratulations. Please stop by the Menu Thread and keep us updated on your success. It's always nice to cheer on the New inductees into this WLS club. Your one of us now please join us.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

catwoman7
on 10/13/20 4:07 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

those IV fluids they pump you up with in the hospital can cause weight gain - I've heard of people coming out of the hospital 10+ lbs heavier than when they went in. It can take a good week for it to work its way out of your system - so that's probably why you're not seeing any weight loss. You will, though...

Teenie
on 10/14/20 7:53 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Head hunger is real and it is not easy to control. You need to find ways to trick yourself into getting rid of it. Here is how I handle it. First really dig deep and see if you are really hungry. Most times your not you just need to drink some water and it may pass. If it does not try to drink some Bone broth (higher in proteins) if you crave salty or a protein shake f you crave sweet. I can not tell you how much this forum has helped me move past some of these issues. I also go to a in person (zoom now) support group. Reach out and use all the resources you can. Looks like you already got a lot of great advise just by posting here. Good luck in your journey.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Blakestuhh
on 10/14/20 9:51 am
RNY on 10/07/20

Thanks for all the encouragement and help. It's just been tough, had a lot on my mind with this. I got my drain out yesterday and am feeling better finally not many aches. I'm curious do all the pouches come out about the same? I know it will Vary with every person but I was worried I might have a bigger pouch to start and already be at a disadvantage. The weigh****ching will be a struggle that I'll have to get over as I'm wanting to see results. I know it will be a struggle with the cravings too hopefully when I start finding healthy recipes to make and can actually have solid food it'll get better. I appreciate the help and I'm sure I'll have many more questions and concerns in the future!

Teenie
on 10/14/20 12:25 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

If you truly want this you will succeed. Let your surgeons guidelines be your bible.. I am almost 3 years out and refer to my guidelines about once a month just to make sure I am not sabotaging myself. Your way early on just heal for now. Once the weight falls off and you can move Exercise can help with the cravings also. If they get to strong I go for a walk or a run, anything to get my mind of food and focus back on my goal. Stay with us we have many successful stories among us.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/20 4:32 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I actually ASKED for a bigger pouch because I enjoy eating bulky but low cal items like salads and fresh veggies ... I'm below goal weight 9 years post op and maintaining without any hiccups .

I too felt I was STARVING the days after I got home from the hospital - its withdrawal ! Zoom meetings are a great place to talk about it ..and find the support you need now.

In a few weeks you will feel SO MUCH BETTER ... just hang in there and walk walk walk every thirty minutes if you can- you'll heal much faster!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 175 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics