WHOA

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 11:10 am
RNY on 10/21/20

I survived surgery but holy hell no one prepared me for the pain directly after. I am still having pain and taking pain meds but those will run out tomorrow when I am 2 weeks post op. My surgeon said that my surgery was text book and he expected my recovery to be as well but I am struggling to get my fluids in and I do not feel hungry and the thought of eating makes me sick. Is this normal? The protein drinks I got are nauseating but I heard that sometimes happens so I am just gagging between drinks.

I go to see the PA tomorrow for a follow up and I plan on talking to him to find out why I am so tired. I get that I just had surgery and all but surely my lack of eating isn't affecting my energy. Any ideas what else it could be?

I thought I had prepared myself rather well for this but I guess not. I am not regretting the surgery don't get me wrong but I am just like whoa.

Alexpope
on 10/13/20 2:13 pm
RNY on 10/21/20

I just realized I put that I was two weeks post op tomorrow and I am only ONE. I feel like I should be farther out or maybe its the pain meds.

White Dove
on 10/13/20 2:48 pm - Warren, OH

At one week out, I was drinking a protein shake a day. An ounce every few hours. I had a hard time with the water and drank an ounce every 15 minutes. By two weeks out, I could drink 4 or 5 ounces at a time.

I am sorry you are still having pain. That does not seem normal. Glad you have an appointment tomorrow. Let us know how things go.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 10/13/20 4:05 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

feeling tired is normal after any major surgery. Your body has just been through a lot of trauma, plus you're not taking in many calories to boot. It should get better and better from here on out - I think it was 6-8 weeks before I had my energy back.

re: not hungry and having zero interest in food - take full advantage of that. It's never going to be easier to lose weight than it will these next few months when you're never hungry and could care less about food. Unfortunately, for most of us, our hunger does come roaring back sometime within the first year. Things get a lot more challenging then. I wish I was one of those lucky few whose hunger never came back!!

sorry to hear about the pain. Most of us have little to no pain with these surgeries, but I know some people do.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/20 1:51 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Don't forget to walk ten minutes every half hour you're awake !

The movement helps you heal a lot faster and in my case allowed me to drink water and shakes better too...

Teenie
on 10/14/20 8:07 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Sounds textbook to me. Just keep drinking the water and walking as much as you can. The walking helps alleviate the pain. Hang in there this will pass quickly.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

SunKissed89
on 10/18/20 6:00 pm
RNY on 10/13/20

I'm right there with you. Surgery was 10/13 so I'm not quite a week out and I was NOT prepared for the level of pain. I did have a hiatal hernia so was told there would be a bit more pain but holy heck the last few days have been rough.

The first 12 hours after surgery I was at an 8-10 pain level and had a nurse *****fused me pain meds (even though they were ordered). I honestly wanted to die.

I am also not getting in more than 32oz of clear fluids and MAYBE 20g protein a day. I am not thirsty or hungry either.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics